Fishing rod holder?

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by CJ21, Jan 23, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Do u woodworkers have any tips on making a fishing rod holder?

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Are you needing a rod holder for a boat or for the bank?

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    CJ,
    If I remember right, you bank fish a lot. If you are wanting bank rod holders, stay away from wood. Here is a simple and cheep rod holder.

3' of rebar or any sturdy metal rod.
    a length of pvc pipe big enough and long enough to accomodate your rod handle.
    2 pipe clamps.
    one drywall screw.

Now connect the pvc pipe to the metal rod using the pipe clamps at the top and bottom. Then put a screw completely through the bottom part of the pvc. This will keep your rod handle from passing all the way through.
    What you have is a very sturdy rod holder that can be hammered into even the hardest ground. Don't forget to take a hammer along when you go fishing unless you are fishing on really soft ground.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I fish from the bank.

5. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    cheapest rod holder i know of is a 3 foot section of 1" 1/2 pvc pipe cut at an angle on the bottom to drive in the ground

6. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    Do you use a chair when fishing? I just finished a holder for a lawn chair, if you are interested I will try to get a picture of it and put it on the computer. I haven't caught a good fish while using it, but it works great in the yard. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lewis take some pics and share them. Sounds like a good laid back Idea.Thanks:cool2: :smile2:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Lewis I do use a chair, I also would like to see it.

9. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    As you can see this is just a modification of the plans found in the BOC Library. They are the 2nd plans listed under "Rods & Holders."

I made the rod holder of 3/8" steel rod about 20" to 24" long. The 3/8 " rod fits into the tubing of the chair that holds the cloth arm-rest. You can bend the steel rod to hold your rod & reel in amy position. I finished the rod holder with several coats of Plasti Dip (from Lowe's). I used the spray type. Then slipped it together and put a screw through the chair tubing and rod holder.

Attached Files:

10. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    More pictures of rod holder. I hope these pictures answer any questions. If you have a question I can try to answer it.

Attached Files:

11. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I made a bank rod holder that breaks down for transport. Take a look.

Rod holder
    tools needed
    Drill
    1/4 " drill bit
    hacksaw
    1" hole saw
    parts needed
    2=-1/4" bolts 1 1/4 long for pins
    2= 1/4 " bolts 2" long for the hangers
    2= 1/4 " nuts
    4= pcs 1 1/2" plastic pipe for legs. Mine are 16" long, but the longer the more stable.
    1= 1 1/2" plastic pipe 24" or use 1 1/4" conduit for cross piece if you make stand wider than 24 ".
    2 or more= 1 1/2 " conduit hangers, depends on how wide and how many holders you want to add.
    2= for leg frame. I used cross pieces used for tarp frames. I found mine at a flea market. Pull the pins and it all comes apart for easy storage and transport. I hope this helps someone.
    2= pce 1 ½ “ pipe to hold rods . I made mine 12”.
    Assembly
    Cut all parts
    Insert leg frame into cross piece 1 1/2" x 24" pcs plastic pipe.
    Drill a 1/4" hole about 1" from each end of cross piece. You don't have to go all the way through to other side.
    Decide what angle you want your rods and location, Drill a 1/4" hole all the way through the plastic pipe.
    Attach conduit hangers with 1/4" bolts.
    Slide legs on and you have a rod holder.
    Instead of conduit hangers and plastic pipe for rod holder you can use Drift master rod holders, Only difference, you will have to drill a larger hole in the cross piece and set angle different.
    To make the rod holder pipes, measure 12” and drill a 1” hole. Cut pipe ½ way of hole, Then measure and cut 12 “ for other holder. This will help keep your reel on top.
    Drop

Attached Files:

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Lewis,Now That's Slicker than Snot on a Brass Door Knob.:smile2: Thank's J.D.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the tips.

14. quickmichael

quickmichael New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    the pvc works well for a rod holder. I cut a slot in the top and set the rod in the slot I have tried it with the handle in the pipe but have found it faster just putting the rod in the slot good fishing