Fishing Rip Rap

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by LittelAl, Nov 16, 2007.

1. LittelAl

LittelAl New Member

State:
    Texas
    What does one look for when fishing rip rap? Do you fish on top of it or cast into it? Always fish either cally or brauinig.:big_smile:

2. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I'll start by saying that I'm not a big lake fisherman. I do make a couple of trips to the lake every year and I fish rip rap every time I go. I have tore them up and I have got skunked but most of the time a catch fish. I found it it best when the wind is blowing into the rocks. If there has been a constant wind for a couple of days it's best. I fish two ways. I start with a float rig baited with cut shad the bait about 4' to 5' below the cork. I throw out as far as I can and let the bait float back to the rocks. The bite usually occurs when the bait is in 5' to 8' of water. I have loaded the boat doing this in the spring. Second I use live bait on a slip weight rig. I throw way out past the rocks and let it fall to bottom. I will reel in in very slow till I feel the first rock with the weight and there I will leave it till the hit comes. I have caught some nice flatheads doing this and some good blues too. this way I get hung up alot and loose many weights but the rewards can be great. Like I said I'm sure there are many more people on here that are better suited to answer this question but I thought I would tell you my $.02. Good luck

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I also like to fish windswept riprap. I like using a float to drift my bait into the rocks. I've also had luck bottom fishing where the riprap ends in the lake. This may be 20 feet or so off the bank. I look for small "points" where the riprap comes out into the lake. I seem to have better luck in these locations.

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Albert,
    Rip rap fishing can produce a bunch of fish. I typically fish it during the Spring when the channel cats are spawning in those rocks. Here's an article I did with Luke Clayton this past Spring on fishing rip rap.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46712

Catfish can be caught along rip rap year round. You just have to adapt as conditions such as wind, depth, water temperature and location of baitfish change. Sometimes you need to chum. Sometimes you don't. That's just personal preference. You just need to experiement for yourself. Just don't stick with one particular location or depth for more than 30 minutes or so if it's not working. If the fish are there and actively feeding, they'll bite in a matter of minutes. If you're chumming a spot it may take a little longer to bring the fish in.