Fishing Rip Rap

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by spam, Nov 16, 2005.

1. spam

spam New Member

Does anyone have a good method (rig) for bottom fishing over rip rap from the shore? I'm getting hung up on almost every cast. I'm thinking some type of paternoster rig with a breakaway sinker is likely the best solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I'd put the sinker below the hook about a foot useing light line.You'll still lose your sinker but save the hook and swivel.

3. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    try slip riging with a big pencil bobber you can adust it till you get right off the bottom ,they dont put up much resistance and you can fish a slip rigged bobber as deep as you want and still reel all the way to the swivel

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The longer and skinnier the sinker, the less likely it is to hang up in the riprap.

Creating a breakaway rig by attaching your sinker with a light line works great untill you try making a really long cast with it; then the light line has a bad habit of breaking during the cast. To prevent this from happening, before attaching your sinker with a light line, tie a sturdy "J" hook to your mainline, then cut off the point all the way down to where the bend of the hook starts, leaving only the shank and bottom of the hook. Tie a 4"-6" piece of heavy, stiff mono onto the sinker, then tie a loop in the free end of the mono. When you get ready to cast, simply use the loop in the heavy mono to hang the sinker onto the cut-off hook so that the heavy mono takes all the strain during casting. As soon as it hits the water, the mono will pop off the hook, leaving the sinker attached only by the light line.

5. spam

spam New Member

Jerry-Tried your rig last evening and it worked just like you said. This rig will certainly go a long way towards making my fishing life better.

Many thanks

6. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Thats a damn good idea fer a break away rig.Wanted to do that point thingamijig but its nnnnot letting me.Thats a pretty useful post there as Spam found out!
    So since the sillly (&@*(&@! thingamig isn't werkin fer me

GREAT TIP Jtrew!