Fishing Reports Lake Moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JDWILLIS39, Jan 21, 2006.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Anybody fishing Lake Moultrie. I am back from the big blue sea and looking to do some fishing when weather clears a little. They wouldn't let fish off back of cruise boat.
    Thanks

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't heard any first-hand reports lately...had intended to go today, but reading between the lines of the weather report made me decide not to, and kinda glad because it is pretty breezy right now. After this weather settles down early next week, I will be going, and I'll let you know.

3. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    needed reports been out o0f action for a few weeks going to tenn fish & camp the second wk of feb be down thear the next wk so lets hear some fish tales

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Roundhill, the wind hasn't been favorable all week, but it's looking better tomorrow and saturday, so I intend to go one of those 2 days. Will let you know how it goes.

5. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I was down last Friday....Fished out of Harry's up by the dam and the channel down to marker 44. Marked very little bait. Moved into the woods where I saw most of the boats. Hit and miss. With water temp around 51-52 depending where you are, bait is very scattered. Heard alot of guide chatter on 68 including one flathead around 50# in brickyard area. Most guides were getting a few but it wasnt a great day. Afternoon winds moved me to humps in front of Harry's. Really pulling alot water in anticipation of upstream rains. May be a little better this weekend with cooler weather but be prepared to do a lot of searching for bait.......could be anywhere. If I was going this weekend, I'd start looking in channel areas, then move to more shallow areas when it warms up.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    thanks tooncat im not going down untill feb 19th - 26th im going to tenn for fish &camp on the cumberlin

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, tooncat. That water temps has really changed things. I've been hoping they would slow down pulling so much water, but it will probably last a little longer yet, depending on weather, and lowering Lake Murray for repairs to the dam.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, I finally got out on Moultrie today, didn't get there until about 11AM and left at 5:30PM. Water was like glass, just a very light 1-2mph breeze from the north when I got there. I caught some herring at the dam and drifted all over the darn place, channels, flats, and in-between. I went out as far as #12 marker and all the way to the rediversion canal, and finally managed to get 2 blues ~10-12#, and a channel about 3#. I couldn't even mark very many fish on the depth finder for some reason, although the few I did mark were on drops along the channels in about 40' of water. The bait was pretty thick at the dam, but not quite as much as the last time I went about a month ago, when the water was colder. Surface temp today ranged from 52-55 when the sun was high. During the time I was there, the generators were not pulling water, I got there too late for that.

9. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    thanks tommy at least you had good day to ride around keep going you will get a big one next time check for them shallow on flats with stumps close to deep channell as much as 2-3ft they will be after mussels or snails.

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Tommy for the report.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Glad to see that you got out, Tommy. Seems like all the SC boys been takin' a brief hiatus for a few days.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Fishing on Moultrie is TERRIBLE! I went yesterday, fished all day, all over the lake, and not a bite! Caught herring with no problem, but I tried drifting, anchored, shallow, deep and in between. Nothing!
    Last night, Doughboy, from Ohio, met me to go out for a few hours and we fished until 9 PM with only one small hit from a channel cat, and even that bite didn't produce a fish. I guess he thinks there are no fish here. :crying:
    Water temp was 52+. Man, I'm stumped. I think I'll blame it on the warm weather and all the trotlines I saw out there lately.
    Any ideas will be appreciated, guys. I want to take Doughboy back out next week one evening after work, but I don't want to come up empty again.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy you might want to try shallow or go out to the doors.If the wind has been blowing hard in one direction the bait will be on that shore.Go into pinopolis cove and find the hump in front of the house with the playground toys in the yard,you can usually get something there.I THINK its those Ohio boys and their jinx!!:)

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    There's a jinx coming from somewhere, that's for sure! I did fish the doors, and went into Pinopolis cove, but some one was racing around up in there, trying out a new bass boat, I guess. The doors had a few fish around them, but I couldn't get a bite; the wind died down calm about that time, and every bird on the lake settled down for the day, so maybe my timing was just off. I tried some shallow fishing, too.
    I went down on Santee river @ arrowhead the night before, nobody was out but me, and I only had one good hit in 3 hours, with no hookup. I did see what appeared to be several cats roll on top up past the sanctuary line, couldn't tell what they were feeding on, though, looked like maybe small herring. I'll keep trying, looking for a little cooler weather next week, I hear.

15. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i want to start out by thanking tommy for taking me out on the lake and trying to catch some fish .Now you gus cant blame an ohio boy because there isnt any fish in south carolina:)

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good to see you made it home ok, Brian. When you come back, how about bringing a bucket of good luck with ya...I need it!

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, I know the bad luck lately ain't all mine, now. LOL
    I spent the day with Roundhill. It started out a beautiful day, only problem was there was no wind at all for drifting, water was like a bathtub. We finally started getting just a little wind and rain around 1pm, but the wind was intermittent. We persevered however until around 4:30, but ended up with no fish in the boat.
    I certainly can't complain, though. It was still a good day, and I really enjoyed spending it with Ron and having some good conservation. Thanks again for the invite, Ron.
    Hey, Doughboy, you can probably smile some. See, it happens!:eek:

18. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well its good to hear that its not all my fault for not catching any fish:)

19. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds a lot like the day wife and I had on Lake Tillery yesterday. Especially the part about no fish. But it was great day on water and I always enjoy hanging out with my partner. Tommy hate you'll didn't catch any fish but it is warming to know I am not by myself with the bad luck.Have good evening.:001:

20. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    well hear gos nothing i fished the lower lake two days cought two blues about 3lbs tommy gave his and i fishing report but we had a great time telling stories to each outher allday long the next day i fished the upper lake cought 8 blues the biggest was 38lb i thought i had a game plan so i did not fish fryday went back to the upper lake sat for the king kat tournament it rained all day the wind stoped it was miserable all day we cought 3 blues they weighd 26lb went to weigh in i dont know how we finished they will post it in a week or so .by the way the fish we cought are in the river channel 40ft deep on cut shad