Fishing report

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by terryl, May 23, 2007.

1. terryl

terryl New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How is the catfishing on the Red River. I have Just got a boat and want to do some fishing. Limb lines, Trot line rod and reel it really don't matter just some cafishing. So I welcome all advice and help.

Thanks
    Terry

2. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    The currents good, the rivers up, it's pre-spawn, and the cats are biting!!! Only problem.... I'm in Mexico!!!

Week before last, I was doing good on throwlines in the main river with live bream in 10 to 20 feet of water. Did good on chicken hearts in the back water in 8 to 15 feet of water.

Rod and reel bite was real good for the small blues in 6 to 10 feet of water on nightcrawlers and hearts! Never tried the bigger fish in the holes. Current was actually to swift in my spots.

Good luck and welcome to the BOC. What part of the river do you fish? I fish from Garland City Ark. all the way down to below Coushata. Just depends on what the rivers doin'!!

3. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Welcome to the group. I was fishing jugs out of Teague's this weekend using hearts and caught 20 keepers, almost all blues between 3 and 7 pounds. Good eatin size!:big_smile:

4. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm interested, too. I'll be there in exactly 14 days! And I've already told the Frau I have 3 wks of nothing but RR fishing. I'll be fishing between I-220 bridge and the spillway via bank (john boat can't handle the river).
    Any suggestions on bait? I ordered a cast net for bait fish and I plan on using something I dreamed up a few weeks ago.

Any of you tinkerers out there try this and let me know the turn-out.
    I plan on using:
    Whole shrimp from the mkt, thawed
    Boiled eggs
    Sardines
    Garlic powder
    All purpose flower
    Sewing string
    Fish Oil (found at Asian mkts)

I want to puree the sardines, eggs, and garlic. Then add enough flower to make a paste and add fish oil for right viscosity.
    I want to place a hook through the shrimp and cover bait with paste, generously. Afterwards, I'm going to place shrimp in oven just long enough for paste to adhere to the shrimp. Once I get to the bank, I will wrap bait w/ sewing thread.....and hope for the best.

Like I said, this is an experiment and I'm hoping the current will slowly disperse the paste down the current and attract the inevidable wall-hanger!

I know most people are set in their ways, but try this and let me know of the outcome, please. In my dream it made sense and I woke up thinking I had an all-time epiphany (or maybe just too many weeks ready to leave Germany and countless hrs plotting my excursions.)

PS
    Hi, I'm patrick and my old man lives in Haughton...and I grew up in Shreveport...and I'm new and know very little...besides that I don't want to go to Virginia for our last duty station (at least we'll be home...in the South...that is, if VA is considered the South).

Sounds like I could have started a new thread, but....what the hey.

5. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Welcome to the group Patrick! It sounds like a good idea that should work. I've never had much luck with shrimp but then I haven't tried it very often and certainly haven't with the scents added. I may give it a shot but then my wife still hasn't forgiven me for using her Tupperware bowl to mix up hearts, gizzards, garlic and garlic salt. The house smelled for days! Usually, we try to catch shad to use. A lot of times, the shad can be found right up next to a dock or wall. I tend to cut them up but a lot of people also use them whole, especially if going for a big blue cat. Well, that's the extent of my knowledge.

6. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Terry, and Patrck, welcome to the site. Hope you you stand all th BS we sling out. I hope to be out on the river soon. Every body but me has been out fishin, so now it's my turn.

7. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Terry and Patrick,welcome to the BOC. This site is great,There is a lot of info here.The river is good right now and I wish you both luck fishing.Stop on in on the Red River thread and make yourself at home.Just roll up your pants legs..:lol:

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yeah, sometimes we even talk about FISHING!!:lol:

9. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    Here in Alexandria the river is rising cause of all the rain in Tx. fishing is fair but be careful unless you put in a Oxbow good current in river