Fishing report with pix attached

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi Guys,

My great nephew (13 yrs old) and I took off fishing around 7pm. Got home around 3 am.

We baited with, crawdads, range cubes and creek minnows. Somewhere around 10 pm I had a hit on a minnow. Nephew (Kevin) had not had a hit on anything. Around midnight, Kevin went to my truck and spied a couple of cans of corn I had and decided he wanted to try that for awhile. We threw a bit out for chum and at about 12:30 his rod got bowed and he was going berserk. The fish was making long runs and the drag was squalling. After about 5 minutes, he got him close enough to shore so we could see him. And, it was a carp. But, he was thrilled. Biggest fish he has ever had on. We finally got him landed in about 10 minutes. Weighed and measured him, 6 pounds and 24 inches long. Revived and released him.

Within about ten minutes after all that commotion had ceased, I got a hit on another rod that I had a minnow on. I peeled off some slack, got the rod out of the holder, reeled in a bit to see if I still had him and sure enuff, he was still there. I applied a bit of pressure, he broke the surface and shook his big head. It was a largemouth bass. And, he threw the hook. My fault probably.

I rebait with a minnow, cast out and start fixing up another rig with corn, when another of my rods with a minnow starts screaming, I peel off some slack, get the rod out of the holder, reel in till I feel he his still there and he boogies for the bottom. Line goes slack he's gone. I reel in, bait with another minnow and cast back out. Then I finish rigging up my corn rod and cast it out. About this time another reel starts screaming, same procedure again as with the other, peel off slack, get rod out of holder, reel in slack, fish still there, digs for bottom, lines goes slack, fish gone. I am starting to rebait again with a minnow when my corn rod goes sailing for the water (it was not in a rod holder), I have to drop the other rod and try to save the corn rod. I caught it before it hit the waters edge. The fight is on. Another carp, 4 pounds, 20 inches long. Kevin took picture. I revived and released the carp. Start rebaitng the corn rod when another minnow rod goes down with drag screaming (am using fighting drag Shimanos, with drag set at minimum, sort of like a baitrunner reel). Anyway, same story again. Good fish on with a good run and line goes slack after a few seconds.

I blame all these misses on myself. I think I got in to big of a hurry and should have waited until the fish stopped and then made another run before I tried to lean back on him. Guess I have been out of the catfishing game to long and have forgotten a few things.

Note: I started out with my heavy catfishing gear and never had a strike. The two carp caught by Kevin and me and all the ones I had on (probably catfish(since they did not act in anyway like the carp), other than the one bass, were on light/ultralight gear, 4 and 6 pound test line, with 7 foot rods, one 10 1/2 foot noodle type rod.

Anyway, attached are a pic of Kevin with his fish and one of me with mine. He got the biggest fish but I had the most on HAAAAAAAAA. He never got another strike.

Attached Files:

2. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    What type of hooks were you using with the minnows? You may want to try circle hooks. The fish will end up hooking themselves with a bit of tension on the line. Almost always right in the corner of the mouth also.

3. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    We were using Eagle Claw aberdeen hooks, sizes 1, 4 and 6 depending on the size of the minnow.

I have some Eagle Claw 3/0 circles but they just looked to big to be using on the minnows we had.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Carp are really fun to catch. Although when I look at a nice size carp, all I see is cut bait. :)

5. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I will take a new fisherman or kids to catch carp they have a blast and get to feel a big fish fight its awsome to see the first time.

6. danasdad

danasdad New Member

State:
    Conway, AR
    Sentry dog man--Sounds like gar bites to me. Put on a piece of unraveled nylon rope with a couple of minnows. That aught to do it if it's gar. But a good sharp hook should snag something. Even a turtle. Good luck!! ---Rod---