Fishing Report, Verdigris River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Cutshad, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Hey guys, sorry I have been busy and haven't posted the results until now. Got a pm from Chris and it reminded me.

Fishing was rough! If you bowfish for gar, I know the place! I called Chris when I arrived at Oolagah. We started rod and reel fishing Friday morning. I caught one flathead by the hiway 60 bridge, about 8 pounds. We set out two trotlines and about 5 jugs. No need in bainting them during the day, just feeding turtles. I did have a little revenge on one turtle though....heh heh..Anyway, my Brother and Nephew got down that evening and we baited the lines and tried some r&r fishing. My brother caught a couple nice channel cats. They were really, really small!....Checked the lines and I think we had two more. Next day we went down the river to the island. There is a great logjam there and we set up. My brother caught another channel cat, (was really, really small) and I hung into a monster! Fought for about twenty minutes then got tied up and got loose! I figured it at about 65 pounds...give or take a few. Well, we baited the lines again before dark and left them all night. We were able to get back to camp due to my great navigating ability, my Brothers light went dead and I had to navigate by the stars. Wasn't no problem. Well we checked the lines on Sunday morning and caught several nice channel cats and some blues. All total, about 20 nice eatin size fish.

We had a blast! The campground was nice. Sure would like to see some flow and I bet it would turn on. I extend thanks to Chris for the info and wish we could've met, but I know how things go. We will be up there again and will have another chance.

Good luck to all, B. Martin

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks for the fishing report there Brian. I knew it would be tough out there right now....but it still beats staying at home. That island has some pretty good fishing around it and thought in the spring time that would be a good place to do some camping as long as it stays above water.:tounge_out:

3. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sounds like you had a good time.

4. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Oh Guys we had a blast! The fishing was great for as low as the water was. And, any fishing beats working! My brother and I had done a few things to the boat and wanted to try them out. They worked out pretty darn good. Especially the lights, for fishing. I have to move a livewell inlet to the top of the livewell :tounge_out: instead of leaving it on the bottom :roll_eyes: . Seems the water all drains out if it is on the bottom.......whodathunkit...Anyway Chris, we are going back pretty darn soon and look forward to meeting up with you then maybe.

You're right about that island, the logjam and the downriver side. There is a heckuva drop off at the downriver point of the island. I would like to fish it when the water is moving...

One more thing, my brother might get on here later and try to dispute the size of fish he caught, just letting all of you know now, HE LIES! See ya all later, Brian Martin :lol:

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Brian, wish I could've made it up there to meet ya. Just didn't have time. Maybe next time.

Congrats on having a fun work free weekend!!!

6. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Ok, time to set the record straight. CUTSHAD's report on the Verdigris river is a bit misleading. First of all, his brother (me) caught some nice channels and I think 1 blue. We didn't get to do as much fishing as I would have liked because CUTSHAD was so fired up about catching shad. You'd think he'd never seen a shad before. We spent HOURS catching shad and only a short time fishing. All the while listening to CUTSHAD lament about his not having a way to freeze a few (thousand). Even while heading to our fishing spot, if we saw a ball of shad, here we'd go. We finally had to threaten mutiny if we didn't start fishing. He definately picked the right name on this site:big_smile: !

I do agree with one thing, the livewell system needs some work. We had to whittle a wooden plub to stop the water from leaking out. Very embarrasing!!

He did catch one rather puny flathead that weighed an estimated .5 pounds, but that was before I got there:roll_eyes: . Actually, now that I think about, I can't say he caught it, that was the story I was told.

I will say, by way of giving credit where it is due. CUTSHAD did fight that stump for 20 minutes. He gave it all it could handle, whipped it pretty good before having to break the line. It was pretty exciting until we all realized the "big flathead" hadn't moved an inch the whole time.

It was a great trip and we had a lot of fun. Maybe if you guys on here keep giving CUTSHAD pointers, he might improve on that .5 pounder. Thanks for the trip bro, we enjoyed every minute.

Paul

7. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Oh, I forgot about the lowdown accusation about my poor old spotlight. If I remember correctly, CUTSHAD'S light went out WAY before mine did. From all the yelling from the driver about "shine it that way", "shine it this way", "turn it on", "turn it off", "what are you guys doing up there" etc. etc. you'd think SOMEONE was using a light. I for one couldn't see the stars through all the trees we kept running into.

Paul

8. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Boys and girls, I gotta tell you, CJSCASTER has slanted the story of this fishing trip severely! As you can plainly see in the previous posts, I gave him credit for catching some fish, I can't help it if they had just left the nest! It wasn't my fault they were a bit on the small side. How could I have controlled the size of fish he would actually catch?

I hope you all also notice how he has tried to shift all of the "bad" things over to me. Innocent! I am being framed for things that did not occurr. There wasn't anything embarrassing about having to whittle a little wooden plug to stop the water from flowing out of the livewell that he designed. I just pointed out we needed to do a little adjusting!

As for the shad, I tried everything I could to stop hunting shad and get to fishing. I was almost whipped to no end because they wanted to have plenty of bait. And I hope you all noticed, that I was the only one required to catch the bait......What about that?

And the "puny" comment about my flathead...How low could you possibly get? Really? It is a sad, sad day when someone displays that much jealousy about a nice flathead like the one I caught and all he was able to catch was some "fresh off the nest" Channel cats. What do you guys think about that?

Now, the BIGGUN was felt by all on the boat! I don't guess they will speak on my behalf because one of them is directly related to jealous one and the other will just enjoy me being tormented because he didn't catch anything!

The light issue was really simple, we all measure a light in candle power. Right? Well you can't with this so-called spotlight he brought. It's measured more in very small minute spark power. Couldn't see the end of the boat.

You guys let me know if you think I am way off track on this but I think he is jealous over the Flathead. I will get him around eventually, but in the meantime any help would be appreciated! See you guys, Brian Martin

9. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Isn't family great!!!

10. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great fishing story-I am still chuckling. Sounds like you had a great time. Too bad you had to cut that stump loose:embarassed: I have wrestled a few of those stumps myself, in the current you would swear they are a fighting catfish. Better luck next time-