Fishing Report - North Canadian River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Okccatman, May 14, 2007.

1. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Fished N. Canadian Sat. and Sun. below the Lake Overholser dam. Saturday we got out about 11am and fish until 2:30pm. Fishing was great when we arived But they increased the discharge and the fish were hard to catch with the added current. We didn't catch any but a guy fishing before us had a nice flathead and a real nice hybrid bass.

I went back Sunday after making Mothers Day breakfast and did much better. There was considerably less discharge and the Hybrids were abundant. Landed a 10# and 2 Channel cats 10# / 6#. Also got 1 Sand Bass. Shad were hard to locate so cut bait was used (small perch and a small sand bass).

Took my fish home and went back with some friends. When we got there the action was good with a Hybrid being landed in the first 5 minutes. Again.... they opened the gates and increased the discharge and it turned the fish off. The water was rising in the river fairly fast so we stayed for a little while longer and decided to call it a day. We did manage to get 1 more channel cat. I was putting the fish on a stringer and the darn thing threw up all the shad it had in it's belly. Funny thing is..... the shad it had ate were 2/3 the cats length.

All in all we had a great time. It was nice to see the river flowing for a change. I hope to get back out there and get some more hybrids and cats this week.

Dave

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Sounds like a good day to me...those hybrids are great fighters. I didn't realize the Overholer even had hybrids in there much less some 10 lb's.

3. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Overholser actually has some really good size fish in it. I read a article in the Oklahoman about a Bethany fire fighter. He caught a 55# flathead on homemade dough bait on the north end tube fishing the cattails. Go figure...... caught on dough bait.

The hybrid was full of eggs and so was one of the channels I got. I may get out there tomorrow when I get done working.

Dave

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The city lakes got a big bonus when they drew Canton Lake down like they did... The large hybrid's probably came from there. One thing about the government of the City of Oklahoma City... they don't care whose back yard they poo poo in, or how long it will take Canton lake to recover from that draw down....they have a contract which says they can do it, and by golly, they did do it...The city government of OKC is just not too swift...remember the road at Lake Hefner around the Golf Course...sure closed it down fast enough for the golfers.

5. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I thought Canton lake was drawn down so repairs could be made at the dam.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Chris, I had not heard anything about dam repairs, just water rights. OKC was in the middle of the drought, boats at hefner was setting in the mud, and the city wanted the water right then. Wouldn't even wait for the spawn to get over at Canton. They sure were inconsiderate of the people who make their living at Canton Lake, and of the sportsmen who frequented the lake. The politicians in OKC are just nor right as far as fishermen go... now if Canton Lake was a public golf course instead of a fishing hole, it would have been in great shape. Golfers are important people while us fishermen are just low-life.

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris/Lawrence- Canton Lake is currently 1 foot low and rising. The Walleye Rodeo is starting tomorrow on schedule. The ODWC started shocking fish yesterday to tag the prize winning fish for the various tournaments. The walleye spawn was less than spectacular and ODWC was not able to harvest enough females to produce hybrids this year. I do not know the status of the dam repairs but I can find out within 24 hours and let you know.
    catman

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I don't fish Canton,too far away from where I live, but I thought I read about dam repairs or making a additional relief dam for high water times and that's why it was lower than usual in addition to the drought we had last year.

9. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Personally I think the N. Canadian is where the big Hybrids came from. I am not in for a political discussion on Municipal/State politics. I am simply telling you all that the little river running through OKC is a more than decent river to fish.

Dave

10. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Dave,

I know that Overholser your not suppose to use cast nets, but what about throwing a net below the dam. Is this legal since it's not the lake? I use to fish that lake from time to time when my inlaws lived in Bethany. I cast netted shad in the lake several times before learning that they are not allowed. I haven't fished it since learning that fact but might fish it again when I'm in OKC for work and have nothing better to do in the evening.

11. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Cast nets are illegal in the river as well. Dip nets are used by alot of folks on the river. It is considered "Close to Home" waters. All city regulations apply. No throw nets, 3 pole limit, etc. Let me know when you are in town. I live just about 5-6 minutes from Overholser.

Dave

12. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    any castnet in the oklahoma river syatem is ILLEAGEL!!! lol sad but true . i watched a ranger give a ticket . was told 179.00 wow . that was at the eastern street dam. below it. on the river.

13. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    The ranger at Hefner says you better catch your bait on a hook or pay me,so I keep all the shad I snag and the small drum and carp, freeze them and use them later. Not much use having a cast net in OKC.

I fished Overholser below the dam on tues afternoon, and found a eddy back under a willow tree, caught and released about 30 fish. all kinds cat,crappie,white bass,small striper. Man what a honey hole.