Fishing report Mark Twain Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by westman407, Jun 20, 2008.

1. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    we went fishing at Mark Twain lake Tuesday night. Got there about 7pm and left at about 11am. The water was dark and muddy. Fish in the evening and night and morning were hitting topwater all the time. We thought they were bass or some small game fish. Catfishing was horrible most of the night. We used minnows, shad, worms, shrimp, bluegill. So you can see we covered our bases with the bait situation.
    Finally gave up on catfish and decided to go for the "game fish" biting on the topwater. I used minnows and a bobber. Started catching channel cats. Caught 6 about 2-5 pounds. Finally the wife called and said that I was done fishing:cry:.
    Anyway, I had no idea that channel cats would bite that close to the surface. So if you are hitting Mark Twain try a bobber and minnows about 16 inches down. They are there. I plan to get back there soon since the mighty Mississippi is way up here in Winfield. Good luck:big_smile:

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like you had a good time! I remember catching channel cats while crappie fishing at a small local lake, its a good time on crappie stuff! Chris

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    All right Steve, MTL can be a blast with those channels up shallow. :wink: Thanks for sharing your report, thats how we all learn when we share what has worked on different bodies of water. Here's a post on fishing shallow at MTL which conferms a proven technique.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=955942#post955942

4. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thank you for the reply that was a good informative post, reps to ya. I was just wanting to let people know how they were biting. I always tightline or drift or something like that for the bottom. Never experienced consistent results on bobber. By the way, The bobber was working not just shallow but deep too.

5. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Did you see any shad poping anywhere? Is there a lot of water running out of the dam? I think I am heading there tomarrow so hopefully I will have a report too. I really can't wait till the Mississippi goes down again.:embarassed:

6. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I could hardly find any shad and the dam was not flowing. Good luck.:big_smile: Post your resluts. Take some minnows.....

7. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I caught 5 channel cats on stinkbait. Nothing big though. Great eating size though. However they are still swiming around. After spending the day on the lake baking in the sun the last thing I want to do is clean some cats, I am sure they agreed.:smile2: