Fishing report for upper New River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by CatHunterSteve, Jun 22, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I fished the New River this week end and wanted to give this report. We fished in the area of the bridge that crosses New River and down stream to just below the Blue Cat on the New Campground.
    We caught several cannel cats, not huge but some good eaters, a big mud turtle and hopefully learned a lot from the trip and it was good to not get skunked again this week as we have the past few weeks.
    We fished some lay downs and brush piles on the outside bend of the river as well as the inside bend in shallower water, using live and cut gills and redeyes, that we had caught from that area of the river.
    We fished daytime as well as night time, from the boat and from the bank and had a great time at all times!
    Fish were close to the bank during the day and in about 5-7 foot of water at night. The river is looking better everyday in that area, but was still at little high and fast throughout the week-end.
    We used three-way swivel rigs, Carolina rigs and even tried a little free lining with a huge cigar float as well as a three-way with a slip cork float on the bait line. Caught fish with every set up but the free lining and I don’t think I had enough weight to hold the bait down at where I wanted it due to the faster currents.
    Looking forward to fishing that area again soon, all in all it was a great week end!

Attached Files:

2. bullydog

bullydog New Member

State:
    VA
    Sounds like you had a good time.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the fishing report, Steve. You had a great time on a great river! I would always bicycle down to McCoy Falls to watch the river roll by; the "beach" was always worth the trip as well (the ol' Hokie hangout). :wink:

4. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    there used to be a lot of rock lizards at mcoys falls in the summer:big_smile:
    have you ever floated the penbroke to bluff city section for smallies?

5. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I had a canoe several years agoa nd have floated from the Clator Dam to the WV boarder at 1 tiem or another for smallies. They use to wear you out down the New River. It certainly is a beautiful river to fish in Virginia and West Virginia.
    Thanks for reading my post.