Fishing report for December 22, 23, 24!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 26, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Didn't do very well on the lake as far as catching fish, but here are the reports for each day. Now, I may get a little mixed up about somethings after so much fishing, but I'll do my best.

December 22

Arrived at the lake around 8am, overcast, a little bit of rain. We knew we were too late to catch bait, so we went to Pea Hill Marina to buy minnows, but he told us we could have them for free! So, we got about 50 big minnows, and put the boat in. Fished in the same area the whole time, which was the Main Channel area, a lot of humps on the edge of the channel is mostly where our baits were. Fishing was pretty slow, but we got a few runs, that we missed. It's really hard to hook them on those minnows, but finally at the end of the trip I did catch one, around 4-5 pounds. And that was it for that day, fishing was just did not seem to be very good, and we didn't have a lot of time anyway.

December 23

Arrived at the lake around 10am, hoping to have a better day. We decided to go to Pea Hill Creek bridge first and throw the bucktail jigs for Stripers, Gaston Dam was generating. There were no Stripers in the area however, not on the fishfinder or anything. We trolled the Jigs a while also with no success. So, we used our left over minnows to go for Catfish again, fished on the backside of the pea hill bridge, only a few small runs that I believe were stripers or bass, because our bait was not messed up at all when we reeled up. Then we moved to the mouth of Pea Hill, fished a long time with absolutely no action! Then moved back to the spot we had fished the day before which is the Main Channel, only a couple very small hits, and we fished there a couple hours hoping for a school to swim through. Well, we gave up after that. And went home after getting absolutely skunked, worst trip of the year I believe.

December 24

Finally we managed to make it to the lake on time! Which was around 3am, we went to our main bait spot first only to find a very small amount of Threadfin shad, probably caught around 10 after a bunch of throws. So we moved on to numerous other spots and couldn't even get one shad at any of the other spots. Went back to the first/main spot again, and the current had started going very slow, which apparently attracted some more shad near the bridge, one throw got me about 10 more Threadfins, and then I couldn't get anymore. So we decided to try our last spot, which was another bridge. Only caught about 5 shad off the bridge, and threw the net probably 25 times or so. Then my dad and I did some teamwork, and went down on a very shallow sandbar near the bridge that a light shines on, my dad would stand very still staring at the water, until finally schools of shad would swim over the sandbar, they were very fast so as soon as he told they were there I had to throw the net, sure enough it worked pretty well. We did it for about half and hour there and ended up with maybe, 40 more shad, enough to go fishing finally!

Fished about an hour in and around the Channel again, no bites at all, so we went to the mouth of Pea Hill, the fishing was decent there. Ended up catching a few more 4-5lb Blue Cats, and some small ones on our bait pole also. Got a lot of hits that I missed also, and my dad hooked a lot of fish that he lost too. Not big ones anyway however, didn't take long before we were down to only a few more shad, and the action had finally died down at the mouth of Pea Hill, and it was about time for us to go home. So, we went back towards the boat ramp and fished one more spot, had about 4 awesome runs that we didn't land the fish off of, my dad hooked his and lost it, appeared to be around 10 pounds maybe, then we missed a couple, and at the end I hooked a really nice one, 15-20lbs for sure, I was tightlining instead of using my clicker, and I think the rod holder just about got ripped off the boat, about halfway in I got that sad but yet familiar feeling of my pole suddenly unloading. Then, we were out of bait and started packing up when my last pole that was in the water slightly bent over, I picked it up and could tell it was another small Blue cat, caught it and it was probably around 3 pounds.

I will definitely be going fishing again tonight, not to mention the James River trip I have Friday.

Here are the pictures in no particular order, I know I look awful in some of them, with the Rabbit fur hat on, and the totally messed up hair, don't pick on me too much though!:tounge_out:

1st picture is of my dad with a small Blue off his bait pole.

2nd- Decent Blue Cat

3rd- Small Blue Cat

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    1st picture - Decent Blue Cat

2nd Picture - DO THESE PANTS MAKE ME LOOK FAT? :lol:

Attached Files:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    excellent reporting. thanks for sharing. I like the hat!

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the fishing report, and pics-----Great hat.Lo

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I am glad you got to go fishing and good report to.

I am also glad you had a hat on because there for a moment I was afraid our little buddy had changed his hair style.:lol:

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    all that patience finally paid off , i like the hat too

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

The hat does keep me warm, but I get some crazy looks...LOL But yeah Willard, not as crazy of looks as I do when my hairs like that!:lol:

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Way to go at it for 3 days. Great fishing report.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, going at it again tonight probably!

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Zakk a great fishing report. I felt like I was in the boat with you. Very informing. Also thanks for the pics. Good luck on your next trip.

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    thanks Katmaster for the fishing report, enjoyed reading it. Nice to see somebody fishing.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, glad you all enjoyed it.:smile2:

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Go Zakk! Thanks for the report and nice pics! Hey man, I like that hat!:smile2: Where can I get one, that thing looks nice and warm!:cool2:

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Scott, I think...lol

I got that hat from Bass pro shop, it's actually pretty sweet, the inside has very nice lining, that doesn't make your head itch like regular hats like those.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Getting ready to head out again, wish me luck, I think I might need it!:eek:oooh: Very windy!:confused2:

16. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm waiting on the next report. Loved the first one. Great info... thanks for sharing! And yes, warmth on the water takes precedence over fashion. :big_smile:

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hi Zakk! Iwas being serious about the hat. I do really like it! I've been out on the local river a number times this month and the cold wind really makes it rough on my ears and that hat looks like the ticket. I will look on Bass Pro and see if I can find it.

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Fished from 4am to 11am this morning, one fish was all, 7lb Blue Cat. I didn't have but 2 good hits, but my dad lost two more, one broke his line, and the other just got off, appeared to be nice fish. I have another report coming tonight.....

Scott, sounds like you do need one of these hats, hope you find it! They are kind of costly though, I think $40.

19. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sounds like a good trip, congrats.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Did awesome on the James River, check out my report in this report section!