Fishing report - Crystal Lake - OKC

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Okccatman, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have been going to Crystal Lake this past week due to convenience and location. It is located on SW 15th west of MacArthur. Directly across the street from Riverside Auto Salvage.

There are many people there all through the day catching Crappie and Bass. It is catch and release only on the Bass. The Crappie have a generous 37 fish daily limit and no size limit. The Catfish have a combined total of 6 for the daily limit.

It is part of the "Close To Home" fishing program hosted by the state and city. That means there are a few regulations that apply there that are a bit more strict than our state regulations. For starters casting net's are NOT allowed. There is a 3 pole limit per fisherman. And a city of OKC fishing permit is required.

My first impression of the lake was not very favorable. It appeared to be a pay lake, it has a box for depositing money. I am very much anti pay-lake and this had me thinking this is not a place for me. After putting a dollar in there on my first visit a guy told me that I didn't have to pay to fish there and that the city owns the lake. That made me feal allot better about fishing there.

First few times I went there I mainly chatted with the folks on the fishing dock while fishing for panfish. They all told me that there are some really BIG catfish in there. By big they were referring to 15#+ Channel Cats. That is big to me also. So today after getting absolutely no hits on my minnows for Crappie I decided to switch up and fish for some Cats. I didn't have much faith in my location (fishing dock). So I found an area that looked much more promising to me in my pursuit of eating size Cats.

After getting set up and comfortable I was having a hard time with seeing hits due to the wind. So I kept 2 poles out with cut Blue Gill for bait. The other stayed in my hand with CJ'S Punch bait. In no time I could feal a hungry fish on the other end of my line. The bite was not very aggressive like I am used to with punch bait. But I was able to land 3 nice Channel's in about an hours time. I would guess the avg. weight to be 3 pounds. All the fish appeared to be very healthy and clean. It also looked as if they were kinda on the large side for their age. I am assuming they were not very old since they had fairly small mouths, but they had some length and girth to them. The main forage fish in the lake seem to be various types of Perch and small Crappie. The perch I have caught at the dock are fairly big, about hand size. And the Crappie are mostly on the smaller side, 1# is a big one there.

All in all I had a great time and have every visit to there. The area is kept clean by the fishermen. And it is one of the last places in OKC that is handicapped accessible to fish. You can drive right up to the dock and it has plenty of room. I have to give it to the city, they do a great job with this lake. The closest place to buy a city permit is the Super Mart convenience store at 10th and County Line Rd. I thought Wal-mart sold them too but the guy at the sporting goods desk said they didn't sell them.?. Super Mart is also the closest place to buy minnows. You might remember it as the bait shop by Overholster.

I recommend Crystal Lake to anyone who has small children since the panfish are abundant and the dock is quite oversized. My son loves it and I feal comfortable taking him there. I hope that you can all visit this small lake and enjoy a day of fishing.

Dave

2. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    believe it or not about 3 years ago me and my brother where out there fishing the dock and a older guy fishing down from us caught a big azz crappie that my brother helped him land it weighed 3 .1 lb on my digi believe it or not! and i have caught flathead in there over by the cattails.

3. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Great report Dave! I didn't even know that lake was there. Sounds like the perfect place to run over to after work some day.

4. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Let me know a day or so in advance and I will try to meet you out there.

Dave