Fishing report below Alton Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Michael Jake, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Went out below Alton Dam yesterday, saw they were calling for a front to come in so had to check it out. Caught some decent size shad, one of which looked like what Rat called a shad on steroids, it was hugh. Water has been slowly dropping as well as cooling fast, now at 49 - 50 degrees. The currant was ripping, painted some fish deep so with all the conditions set up over an area about 45 ft deep around 11:30. Wind really picked up now coming from the west where the day started with a breeze from the south. Tried heads, gut pockets, head and fillets as well as large fillets, not even a nibble. Then remembered Gary and Cuz used small fillets about 3 inch by 1 inch… bingo, nice hit but no hook set. Had a circle hook on that one so put two gama octopus hooks on a short leader… around 12:30 first fish a 12 pounder (first picture), just got a reading before scale went out. Note: time for another scale… next fish was 30 inches (second picture - with my shoe next to it) then last one was a little over 36 inches (last picture - fish in net) at around 2:30... Fish were all released fine ready to fight again. Had a strong wind now out of the northwest, barometer was rising at a fast pace, bite was good, then everything stopped other than the wind. One interesting note is every fish including the initial nibble was on the same pole. I rigged the other poles identical after the second fish and still nada. The fish were hanging close to structure and not moving much, looks like the cold water temperature having it’s effect. Strong currant seemed to multiply the weight of the fish bringing them in, that surge rod was bent over doing its thing and my arms were feeling it. It was sweet!!!

Attached Files:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Man that is a great story Mike. Thanks a million for sharing your good fortune and photos with us. I'm slowwwwly finding out that those little nibbles arnt always rats. :smile2: Nice job on the river buddy.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Just out of my own personal curiosity Mike, were your other poles the exact same action's as the one you caught the fish on? Were they lighter action tips, or have a different line on? Thx for the info.

4. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    There was a little difference in rod tip but my guess was placement in same location. I would cast it out to the side keeping it firm while letting out line as the currant bounced the 14 once sinker along the smooth sandy bottom till it started bumping rocks then each time one last hard bump when line was directly behind. I locked it in there. The rest of the poles where in the rocks just over from it. Had another surge with same line out plus two other rods, one with a heavy tip and the other lighter than the surge. Go figure, all that I could guess is fish were hang’n there and not moving. Had a great time

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks for the report Mike!!

I'm planning on fishing tomorrow evening into the night, BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :smile2:

I'm just not sure where to put in right now :crazy: My choices are Melvin Price, St Louis or Flamm City! Just haven't got a clue as to where to go just yet! Oh what to do...........................

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    If anybody could find them, it would be you Mike.
    What did I tell ya, Cuz?
    I've fished with nearly a hundred BOC'ers over the years. Mike, your knowledge rates in the top 2 or 3. There is something about you I can't put my finger on. Best I can say is you are true river rat. Nothing you say or do if for show. Your for real.
    I'd be proud to share a boat again with you anytime. Well,,,,,,,,,, once it warms back up to 70 degrees, of course. Lets not get ridiculous.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    WOW!!! That's quite the compliment, especially coming from the Honorable Mr. Kutter!! Congradulations there Mike!

So............Ummmmmmmm.............Mike...........Ah........when are you and I going fishin? :smile2::smile2:

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thanks for the compliments, but really there is no need to I already know how good I am. :roll_eyes: As for you Mr. Kutter, I too wouldn't mind spending some more time with you on the water our 1 and only trip got cut a bit short. Now to when WE are going fishing rat.....not sure I can make it tonight, but ya never know I guess that depends on if your putting in close to the house or not.:wink:

But, seriously I too have met Mr. Jake and was impressed with his knowledge of the area. He wasn't fishing that day, but gave me and my fishing partner some great advise on finding fish. One of these days Michael me and you will get out there together and do some fishing I'm sure of it.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Mike is good people. I'm looking forward to fishing with him one day also. He spends alot of time on the water.

As for fising with Kutter, surely you know to bring an umbrella, and hail suit. :smile2::wink: And prepare yourself, he has more River stories than any man alive. And they are good stories. Oh, you'll have to watch yours and HIS rods too as he wont watch them. Hes busy with his stories and enjoying the river. Whats funny, hell still catch all the fish even though he doesnt watch his rods. Havnt quite figured that one out yet. I'll never forget watching where he casted his rods. The first time he went out with me, I watched him flip one up towards the front of the boat in 2 feet of water. I thought he had miscasted his rig, but he put the rod in a holder. I said under my breath, now why in Sams h@#$$ would he pitch it up there. Wasnt 10 minutes later and he had a 15 pound flathead in the boat out of that 2 feet of water. Now you all know why ol Cuz always leaves one rod in the water right under the boat. Thx Tom!!! :roll_eyes: I highly recommend spending a day on the river with Mr Kutter. You'll go home with a sore gut, and some nice quality memories to take home with you, like being huddled up under some river willows dodging heavy thunderstorms. :wink:

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    congrats Mike. Were you able to put in on the Mo. side? I havent been over there for weeks.

11. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks Tom for the compliments, I do enjoy the rivers and to me proving around to find the elusive river crappie is just as rewarding as pulling in a big cat. The rewards to me are being out there, then when the culmination of our efforts and passion happen that’s awesome. Been seeing a lot of deer out there Tom, last couple of years have seen many more bucks so go get em. Harvest a bunch, they need to thinned down. Stay warm and looking forward to many more river experiences we can enjoy.

Bill, have to work today but will be off till next Friday so let’s go for it.

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Michael, :smile2: Let me know when you’re open and let’s go for it. I once said Cuz and MRR were trying to make the prize boat at the cook’s tourney a “John boat” so let get out there and tell those cats to give it to the Mikies

Cuz, when Kutter and I were on the Missouri there were storms all around. Looked like back when the Cardinals won the series. Thunder and lightning on all sides and we just got a few drops. We later heard that Gary got chased off just a little down river from the monsoons that struck… Those lessons we learn out there from each other are not forgotten. I’m thankful we can bring them to this platform to learn from one another. I wouldn’t have thought of cutting small strips as you and Gary did so when I tried that option, it was what the fish went for. I’m a trivial nut and those little details is what makes a difference, we all just need to continue encouraging each other to share the details.

Bob, I put in there below the dam, it was in good shape.

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I wasn't sure if I was going to make it out on the river last night as my partner was late on his arrival. However at about 700pm he finally arrived and we decided, what the hell, lets go!!!

Given the recent successful fishing reports coming from the Mississippi south of STL, that's where I decided to go.

I arrived at the Flamm City boat ramp at about 745pm and dropped the boat in the water then headed to my AWESOME bait hole. Once I arrived at the bait hole, all it took was one throw of the net and I had more than enough shad for the night! I then focused on my pursuit of the whiskered fish.

I anchored in the first hole, a 55 foot hole, and soon pulled in a 17 pounder. Had a couple more bites in that hole then nothing. Moved to another hole, a 67 footer, but got nothing there. I moved around that hole a few times and got only a few nibbles. I stayed in that hole for quite a while thinking that there had to be some fish in there but had nothing.

After bearing the cold, and it was a bit chilly out there, I decided to move down near the Meramec. I was floating near the power plant and noticed some neat stucture near it and decided to give it a shot. We weren't anchored in for 5 minutes when one of the poles started doing a little dance, then it would stop then do it again. I thought that maybe a little dink had accidently hooked itself and decided to reel him in. As I began reeling him in, I soon realized it was no little dink! Got the fish to the boat and it ended up being a 23 pounder! That fish didn't hit the bait hardly AT ALL! I fished that spot for a while and ended up getting a few more bites then nothing.

Tried a couple more spots but was unsuccessful. I think the fish are still scattered and are just trying to engorge themselves before the REALLY cold weather sets in. All the fish were caught on shad filets, tried using gut pockets, heads and chunks but they seemed to prefer the filets. Course we only caught 2 fish but they were both caught on the filets.

The second fish was caught in about 27 feet of water. We got off the river at about 230am this morning, by that time it was pretty chilly!!:smile2::smile2:

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    thanks for the story bill, whens the nexy time your going out?

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Maybe Saturday but definatley going out on Monday as it's a holiday and I'll be OFF!!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    i wanted to go yesterday but it was my son's b-day
    theres no way my wife would've let me out even if i took my son.....lol
    I might try to get out friday after work

17. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks for sharing your report with us Bill. The water temperature is dropping fast, we have to enjoy each day possible whenever we can. Looks like they’re in the mid range to deep right now, we still should have some good fishing days left.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You guys just tell them kitty's to hold out for one more week till Cuz gets home. :smile2:

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm tryin Cuz, I'm tryin!! :smile2::smile2:

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Well Bill sounds like you guys had a good night. I was hopen for some pictures. I wish I could have made it out but This work thing is really starting to interfear with my fishing! I might need to talk to the boss about that. Congrats on two nice fish, I cant wait to get back out there.

Mike congratulations on a great day up at Alton. Sounds like you dug deep into the ole BOC book of tricks and came out Victorious. (Gotta watch my spelling cause ol Darryl is ready to pounce on the slightest mistake:smile2::smile2:)