Fishing report and update at Alton

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Michael Jake, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Took a buddy fishing this morning, it was his first time every on the big rivers… We put in at CB, ramp was cleaned up since Monday, river looked great but the fishing was slow… caught a bunch of Asians and a few shad for bait, went down on the Mississippi and painted a lot of fish… just no bites and moved a lot setting up on fish, nada except for the line debris… Water levels had dropped so decided to head up to Alton dam and try a spot that’s produced when line debris is a problem… When I was approaching the dam I noticed the tainter gates down and the locks working, everything was operating normal, well at least what is usually normal except for the last couple of months… Called Rat and shared the news plus a little humor where someone had to leave their boat in trailer at bottom of the mud slick ramp… someone else helped em pull it out… then wouldn’t ya know it, second vehicle with boat and trailer sliding and spinning tires trying to get back up the ramp… Water looked good, painted some fish and set up out in the channel, wooo hooo… very little line debris… saw a bald eagle and noticed a front coming in… live shad was the bait of choice, my buddy got his first blue and the biggest fish of him life… 38 lbs … All I have is this cell phone picture for now, it turned out tiny but can barely see the gates down behind him... oh, something else… as soon as I lifted her out of the net with the boga grip, she started oozing eggs… all I can say is this year sure has been different… one more update, saw em scrape the parking lot and ramp, it‘s open. :wink:

Attached Files:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's is awesome Mike! Glad you got that little ol nasty Harold..oh, aaaa...I I I mean....Skunk outta the boat!!!! :crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2: (Just kiddin' Harold, You know I love ya!)

Thanks also for the call this morning, I just love getting calls from guys out on the river! Ryan and Jason are notorious for it, at least you were nice! They always rub it in my face, they are fishing and I'm usually workin'! :confused2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Congrats to your friend on catching an almost "PIG"! :wink::smile2: No really that is a great fish and I bet he had a ball reeling that thing in! Way to go Mike, Reps to ya my friend!!!

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Way to go Mike, great to hear you found the fish. Thanks for the report on the dam, that sounds promising. Congrats on your friends PB and biggest fish ever. Way to go and reps to you.

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Tell your friend congrats on a nice PB... Glad to hear the gates are finally slowing down the current.. Now I can think about going back and looking over my old spots again.. Probably next weekend, going to Catstock this weekend..

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Again with the OLD spots Harold, you've been talking about these OLD spots for quite some time, not to mention even showing a few Gateway members where they are located! :crazy: Yet you're still on the LIST!!!!:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Harold, I swear I am going to do may damndest to get you off the dang list buddy! I'll be off the last week of this month and then the first week of September! (I'm having surgery on August 28th) So before I get cut open, I'll try to get you out there okay kid?!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats to you and your friend on a great fish.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I gotsta take my hat off fer that one-OHH YEAH!:cool2:

8. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the report Mike. I am headed out tonight with gpolce. Hopefully we will have a little luck.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A few other folks will be prowling the area too. Try channel 69 on the VHF.

10. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Will do. Hope to see you guys out there

11. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Way to go MJ. sounds like things are getting back to normal down your way. Tell Your buddy congrats on the PB. See you next weekend at Louisiana.

12. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Skipeye, if I see you out there I will be heading your way to drop off Nessie. I would love for someone else to get a taste of his whining and moaning.

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I have my hands full trying to get my brother PipeRat onto a good fish. He is like the black plague out there. LOL!!! Funny though.... Nessie says you are the whiner!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

I am looking for a pair of flowerdy shorts though to help out my fashion image. Think I'll hit the thrift shop down the road here and see if they have any leftover from the 80's.:smile2: They'll go good with that disco ball I am going to hang from my rod rack!

We'll prob launch around 6:00 to 6:30, see you out there, you'll be easy to spot in the daytime.:wink::smile2:

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

LMAO............ Sorry Greg, I cant hold it in any longer...........LOL:wink:

Guys Im starting to think those flower items Greg use are good luck. Last week when Greg and I went out Greg informed me that the guys really got on him about his flower shorts so he didnt wear em........LOL

But sure as s#!t, He reached in the back of his truck and pulled out a lil flower cooler that matched the shorts .............LOL:smile2::smile2::wink:

Greg your name is in the hat for a name change. With all the people going out tonight Im sure someone will have a new name tomorrow. Stay on your toes is all I can say.

15. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO

I think if you are honest with yourself, you realize it wouldn't hurt. With that said, it would be just a start. One could liken it to putting lipstick on a pig -- it will help, but not much.

I'll be on the lookout for the disco ball. I'm sure it will look awesome projected on that cylinder.

16. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Skipeye,
    If you can't spot us in the daylight (which is hard to imagine with Greg's shorts), you should be able to smell Greg's boat. It exudes a very strong skunk odor.:roll_eyes:

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you go north a few miles there gonna be a few huntin too:wink:Good luck out there and be safe!

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok then, I'll just follow my nose.:smile2: (or steer clear as no self-respecting hawg will be within 100yds of those shorts!)

19. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Willie,
    I am glad to see someone else from the BOC get the "Greg" experience. He loves those shorts and yes, he does have the cooler to match:roll_eyes:. I think the name "Daisy" seems appropriate, but that is just my opinion:smile2:.

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    "Lil Sweet Orchid" sounds good

or

PETUNIA

or

Water Lilly

:eek:oooh::smile2: