fishing report 12-08-07

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigblaze, Dec 10, 2007.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    ok all you experienced kerr lake veterans....please don't laugh to much at our catch...we are new to this lake and have allot to learn about it...this time we just wanted to do better than the last time....last time we got skunked

got to the lake shortly after daybreak..put in at ivy Hill..water temps were in the low 50's and a 5 mph. wind out of the south. We headed to the creeks trying to find bait....well just like last time we marked ALLOT of bait again but I only managed to net one 4"gizzard shad...well after joking around as to what we would do with it, we decided to try it and would also use our vacume sealed hickory shad.

This time of the year it seems the bait (shad) is over deep water...50 plus feet and we tried everything to catch it but after three hours it was just to frustrating.
    previously, we sewed on another lead line on my 7' net in hopes of getting it to sink faster...but the bait still managed to elude my 7' and bronco 67's 10' Calusa cast net.

next time we will bring our own bait.:wink:

we tried to set up on a point just outside of ivy hill...marked allot of fish but no takers....

We remembered a post from 1bigblue where he talked about eastland creek (thanks)...so off we went to find eastland creek...

we set up on the edge of the channel off a point...It went from 60' to 30' and had fish all over it...well we weren't there 20 minutes and i had my first run...but no hook up...10 minutes later ....i had a good pull down...and i set the hook...well I was using a circle hook:roll_eyes:...(.hey what can i say i got excited)

next pull down was bronco 67...he hooked up with our first kerr lake kitty. Remember that lonely gizzard shad that i caught in the cast net....yep thats what he caught our first kerr lake kitty on....it was a pretty blue going about 11 lbs.

as the day progressed we had a few little bites here and there...but no hook ups.

as the sun set and bronco 67 headed for his x-mas party me and soupman settled in for the anticipated evening bite....

it was about 4:30 I looked at soupman and said "well if it's going to happen it should be any time".....

not 5 minutes later soupman's first rod went down...after pulling the fish from the flooded timber...he landed a decent 20 pounder as we were trying to get that one of the hook his second rod went down...and he landed a 7-8 pounder...

Thats how we would finish the day....i got skunked but thats ok we learned allot...cant wait to get back out there...

ALL FISH WERE CPR'ED

Attached Files:

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    John,

Thanks for the post, and congratulations on a successful fishing trip.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the post and the pictures. Looks like you had beautiful weather and managed to land a few fish. Nothing wrong with that combo. :big_smile:

You'll get them next time.

4. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    bigblaze I think you were the guys taking out in front of us Sat evening that told us that you couldn't get bait but did manage a 20lb? We had electrical trouble and got late start 10:30 we got 7 all 10-15lbs blues. Hope to C them next time.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    i have a 19' sea boss bay boat....(center console) it has a blue water bait tank on the bow...cant miss that big old bait tank...

were you at ivy hill???

how do you get bait from that lake...and what do you use???

like i said in my post we tried to catch shad for over 3 hours...

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    bigblaze we were in a pontoon boat white with a little blue on it, it was dark and I was in the boat you talked either to my dad or Willy. We were the last to the ramp and I think it was y'all in front of us. And there is no lights at Ivy Hill ramp. We came up Fri night and got bait and a lot of good bait it broke my heart putting it back in the lake. I wanted to stay but the wife and child were wanting me home. I had already missed two obligations in order to fish Fri night and Sat. And had 3 for Sun I made them! We got our bait up the lake with 8-9ft nets, came down got about 100 yards from our 1st set up and lost running lights and sonar around 4:30am. This also happened a few weeks back but only 15min into getting bait and that time a fuse crystallized and melted the fuse box. We had fuses but no boxes and at 11:00pm there was no where close by to get one so we choose to fish blind. And still done OK better that Sat. We did not what to fish blind again. So we worked on the water for a while Sat morning with no luck, then trailer up and worked some more with no luck. Then we went to the boat shop and waited for them to open. The new connection had worked loose! Got back on the lake around 10:30am fish until dark. A meter will go in the tool box now! We saw y'all and heard y'all get that 20lb in the graveyard, close to dark. What body of water do you do most of your fishing at? We had big 8"+ shad, crappie, bream and suckers for bait all live. Plan on working for bait a good 3-4hr. it may come easier or harder, its 2nd to going home, unpacking and cleaning up. Hope we both C them up next time.

7. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    pretty fish...nice report...thanks.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the post and sharing the pictures!

9. DanMan

DanMan New Member

State:
    VA
    Shad has been hard to find this year at least for me. Crappie have been wokring great lately. So now I catch some crappie which is pretty easy to do on buggs spend alittle time trying for shad luck or no luck I fish. Don't know if you guys drift fish but have been doing pretty good drifting past few weeks. :big_smile: I'm off work starting fri. for two weeks if you guys see me out there stop and say HI. Good luck to you.

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    BigBlaze, good report and nice to hear you caught some fish. 2 trips to Buggs for me = 0 fish.

DanMan, you didn't happen to be on the James this past weekend were you? And stayed at the Comfort Inn in Chester? I saw a boat just like yours out there.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    yep!! That was us!!!

i guess bait is easier at night or before day break but we don't have that opportunity....

you all must have talked to one of my fishing partners....soupman...i was in the boat securing everything for our ride back home....

next time we will bring bait....my blue water bait tank will be FULL of bait before we get to the lake...

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    we drift in the summer but when the weather gets colder we try to anchor and wait for the fish to come to us...like i said we are still learning....so we may experiment...

13. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    We just allow ourselves plenty of time to get bait if possible. I don't really think it's a day or night thing. Then there's the other troubles! We do both anchor and drifting but more anchoring from now to spring.

14. DanMan

DanMan New Member

State:
    VA
    JPritch nope won't me. Wish it was, I'm planning a trip for next week and the week after. So wish me luck.:tounge_out:

15. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Great story guys

16. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Bigblaze..the mouth of eastland is loaded now.Were you guys drifting ?Next time you try Kerr give us a shout on the Kerr lake page, maybe we can trade stories.

17. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

no!! their was no wind to speak of so we just anchored up on the edge of the channel...

Have you had better luck drifting rather than anchoring???

i have visited that site before but not very often...

thanks again...

18. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    Bigblaze if there's no wind fish seam to leave town. We drift with drift socks from the mouth of the creek towards the powerlines, or across the channel,pull up and repeat. 30-40' gets the most hits,surface temps hung around 50-53 degrees. Crappie cuts and heads, hooks don't seam to matter Circle or J's. Carolina rig (some w/floats) . Hope to get back this weekend