fishing rend lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by 187um, Jan 17, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    was just wondering if anyone has a nack for fishing on rend lake.this will be my 2nd season of fishing in the rend lake area. last season not to productive so i am looking for help

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Last season stunk for me too... so don't feel too bad. I am going on season 3 at Rend and still trying to learn it. That's a lot of lake to try and hone in on for sure.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob Welcome to the BOC. Rend is a great fishery and there are many members on here that find great success on Rend. I look forward to reading of your fishing trips.Some reps to get you started.

4. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    yea it is a lot of water to cover especially me i dont have a boat and honestly havent been able to afford the rentals. plus u can only rent from 8-4. i usually start my fishing day at normally 5 or so in the a.m. and on through the night. well good luck on the 3rd season.do you fish anywhere else besides rend lake? i have done better at crab orchard but every one i talk to says hey try rend lake when i ask where to fish it always seems to be info coming from those with a boat. if i hear anything i will be sure to let ya know on where to go if i can find the spot they are talkin about.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob you can bank fish in many areas of Rend. Try the Gun Creek area where the highway crosses the lake.

If I had to choose between Crab and Rend I would choose Crab everytime.

6. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Rob, I have fished Rend for years. It is a wonderful fishery. The only drawback is the size. If you are looking for monsters, its not going to happen unless you hook a flatty. If I was limited to bank fishing, I would fish the North end off the subimpoundment dams. They are great places to fish. Look up a map of the lake on the internet. there is the bonnie subimpoundment dam and the waltonvillie subimpoundment dam. Both are great places to fish and will yield some nice channels and maybe a flatty or two later in the summer.. Good luck and welcome to the BOC!!

7. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i have seen signs for gun creek is there maybe a specific place to try? yea crab has been ok by wolf creek but even still the largest cat i have gotten from there has been about 2-3# the largest cat since i moved well at all has been 7# and came from a farm pond. i would love for this season to be able to go to a river or lake and be able to catch something worthy of a photo. i bank fish period, i dont even know anyone down here with a boat. so i have been taking shots in the dark after countless hours online studying and learning all i can but seems like everything i learn about is from a boat point of view. am i maybe missing signs of where to begin fishing or maybe luck of the draw?

8. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    how do i do the thanking thing on here?

9. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanks scott i tried all last year and shamefully honest only caught 2 fish from there and not even cats i have heard a lot of people fishing the spillway what do you know about the fishing there? went there once if you do know do i fish the deep water ontop of the spillway or under it where the water streams out?

10. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Rob, what time of year were you fishing and what were you using for bait? Early in the year you need to use cut bait. During the summer months, they will bite on almost anything. dip baits work great during the summer.

As for the spillway, you can fish the rocks along dam. That's a good area to fish as well. As Mickey said, gun creek is good too. Gun creek is located on the East finger. If you have seen the golf ball water tower, you find signs for gun creek.

I have never fished below the dam because there is usually a LOT of fishing pressure down there and not much room! However, i do know that people catch fish down there.

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Gun Creek area is the said to be the best generally speaking. I am stilltrying to hone in on them myself. Like I said... last year... I did really poorly at Rend. So much flooding going on made it to be a real nightmare in my opinion.

I fish Baldwin primarily. I feel pretty comfortable in that body of water for catching decent sized cats. But of course, I use a boat. Baldwin really is limited to the places to fish by bank.

12. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Brian: set aside the second week in May and I PROMISE you that will kill em. fish up in brush. you wont be able to keep more than one pole in the water at a time.

13. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanx brian if you go back to rend let me know how you do and maybe where. well goin the the bar talk at ya guys later thanks for all the info. thinkin if hitten the mississippi soon by the metroplis part any one with tips please feel free to let me know. and it will be from the bank so we'll see. never fished the miss but gonna give it a whirl.

14. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Brian, when you get your 997 let me know and we will get together at REND, and I will show you some spots.:wink:

BIGCAT GarryEads

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    my best luck came from waltonville dam area lots of holes there holding fish

16. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanx i will be tryin it out when some ice is gone

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Sounds great Garry! I still need to fish out of that toon with you. Just call me to go fishing my man! If it is weekend, I am 99% sure I have nothing going on.

Definetely need spring to come around.. the 997 is bought and paid for. Just need good weather to install it and pray it works. HAHA!

18. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Brian, you will love the side imaging. However, the 2d sonar has its drawbacks. I had to purchase a high speed transducer because I lost bottom at about 20 MPH. You may not have the problem though. Personally, I think that Lowrance kills them when it comes to 2d sonar. However, the side imaging is AWESOME. Good luck and let us know when you get er installed and on the water.

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    if your just getting started there, wait till spring when the water is up and go to the subimpoundment dams and fish that buckbrush. you will be up to your ears in channels. also, during that time, in the prespawn, you can go to the primitive camp and the cove to the north has a lot of feeding channels when the water is up. you can get a site and catch em from the bank all night. i had some of my best nights there. lot of 5 pounders and up

20. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    does anyone happen to know the normal level? people say if its down or up to do this or that so if someone could let me know whats considered normal level that would be great