Fishing related projects

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by playin4funami, Nov 23, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I'm sure we have all done some fishing related projects in the past,and I thought this would be a good place to share them,kind of inspiration for others to get up and do something,lol. I know I need some now and then,inspiration that is!

things I've rebuilt

pontoon boat
    trailer
    rods
    reels

Things I've built from scratch

small boat trailer
    ice fishing sled/gear tote
    sinkers
    jigs
    dock
    bait tank for home
    fish cleaning station at home
    material organizer for lumber and steel
    gear boxes for four wheeler that I no longer have
    trailer for lawn tractor
    roll around tool station/work bench
    ice fishing rods

So what have you made lately?

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'm gonna pour some leadhead jigs and tie some bucktails soon.
    I wouldn't mind making an ice fishing rod, but I already have half a dozen.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well guys, I'll tell you what. I am glad I live in a locality that does not need nor use ice fishing rods. brrrrr

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Im with Shucks on that one.. i have done a little in the past, and it was fun though...

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would try some of that there ice fishing, but it looks like a lot of work chopping a hole big enough for the boat.....

What do you use for batter on the ice? Do you deep fry it or bake it?

What is the bait ya'll use?

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    long long ago in days gone past we could buy cane poles called calcutta.these were real thick walled and lots stronger than regular cane.i used heavy wire to make the guides and tied the reel on with heavy cotton cord much like i do now except i use eglass blanks now.i also buy the guides to its just more conveiniate.i make ever thing i use except swevils and hooks.

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    You all,that don't get the pleasure of ice fishing sure don't know what your missing! There are many different ways to ice fish,from having a shack on skis that is placed over a hole in the ice and left there like a little home away from home where you sit in warm comfort fishing through a hole in the floor,too running around with a five gallon bucket that holds your gear and doubles as a seat fishing where ever you need to to catch fish,sitting out with your back to the wind letting mother nature have at it. There is no feeling like walking on water,listening to the ice crack and pop underneath you,it's downright musical some days,but scary as heck the first time you do it. As ice is still forming it pops and cracks as it expands and pressure of ice expanding is a good thing,it means the ice is still building and getting thicker which is good for ice angler,quiet ice is bad,that means it is melting or deteriorating and might not be as safe as it once was. It can be tons of fun,if you get the chance try it,you'll probably like it.
    Last year a couple texas boys pulled up and watched me ice fish a spot I was trying,they wouldn't come out on the ice even when I told them it was safe. They asked how thick the ice was,I said 10 inches,then they asked how deep the water was,I said 33 feet(old gravel pit) they said I was crazy and watched from their truck cab for awhile,while I pulled in a couple fish,drove away shaking their heads.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,I weld up my own heavy duty bank rod holders ,They are a pain to tote,But they work so good its well worth the extra bother.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I want to make a rod holder like described on here, but might be next summer. I have been making sinkers when I got the time and inclination lately. got to make a rod rack too,

10. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I make the old lady mad about four or five times a week. Does THAT count ?

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: EVERYTHING'S BIG IN TEXAS except their balls:smile2:

I used to ice fish a long time ago. Crappie caught through the ice tastes way better than any other fish I've ever caught. I sold mt ice fishing gear when I thought I was moving to Kansas City to be close to my son. That never happened because of money. If I wanted to ice fish now I'd have to start all over.

12. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    Down here in Ga the only thing like a shack over a hole has "brown trout" in it:smile2::smile2:

13. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    well i ice fish a lot and CATMANJEFF if you want a good deal on ice fishing gear go to millard bait and tackle...Jim will hook you up!!!..I have made ice fishing tip ups and bolted PVC on my buckets for my ice fishing poole to sit while i carry them...we made ice fishing huts for about $23.50 it will hold 4 people comfortabally and we made it out of pvc so we can take it apart and use shorter PVC and make it a 1 man 2 man or 3 man...i make rod holders when i for get mine down by the river and the get taken...i make wieghts andi made a little bike trailer so i can puit all my fishing gear in there and ride the bike trail to the lake but ended up buying one and used it like twice..lmao...i have laso made snagging hooks and molds and melting pots...i used a clamp and a fince post cap and a propane blow tourch...lol

14. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Just finished 5 8' catfish rods and 1 14' catfish rod, about 50 lbs of sinkers, new bait tank for the 'toon and have started on 25 new jugs. Need to get a bunch of striper jigs tyed.
    I have one more rod to do then it is time to start getting bait. The big chubs have moved back in the creek so I need to freeze about 20 lbs to have when the creek goes dry.