fishing regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by viperdragon6662003, Jan 14, 2009.

1. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    Hey does anyone know when they come out with the new regulations for 2009 i cant seem to find them just the 2008 ones.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremiah Welcome to the BOC. You might try checking the Il DNR web site for up to date info on new regulations. Walmart and Sporting good stores get New DNR give away booklets each new season.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

3. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    ya i didnt check walmart yet but the dnr online still the 2008 one so i guess ill just have to wait

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I wouldn't be looking to hard for them in print this year, state can not afford to have them printed so more than likely online only, that is what I have heard, and generally you won't see them until mid Feb on a good year, LOL. there to busy right now ya know, most time they have ever spent in Springfield in 5 years been the past 2 months........:roll_eyes:

5. Swishersweet

Swishersweet New Member

State:
    Bourbonnais, Illinois
    I'm still trying to deal with the emergency order that was put into place last summer to control the spread of viral hemorrhagic septicema (VHS). The law says you have to drain your livewell, bait containers and all water from your boat prior to leaving any body of water and you cannot transport live fish. OK, I'm fine with controlling the fish disease, but the problem is that at all of the places I fish, there are no fish cleaning facilities. The order recommends putting the fish you plan on keeping on ice for transportation. I definitely don't want to transport fish I plan on eating any distance that have not been gutted.

Of course, one month before the order was put into place, I finally bought a boat with a livewell so I could transport my catch live. :tounge_out:

6. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    i did not know about that VHS thats some good news to know cause all summer long we brought are fish home in the live well. thanks for all the info guys ill keep checking online for it. thanks everyone

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    It is just ways to try and minimize the contamination of other bodies of water with possible infections. It is like quarantining an area so an epidemic doesn't occur. We as people do not need seedings to occur of a potentially deadly virus, bacteria or parasite to spread across the US one lake at a time if it can be minimized. After all, the seeding of nonnative species of carp sure did ruin a lot of waterways already. It is just preventative measures to ensure future generations have a safe and good environment.

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yea, but the new regulations are playing heck on all the tourney directors. Pretty soon there will be no fishing tourney's In Il. for the fear of transferring viruses.:confused2:

9. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Another stupid rule:confused2:.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yea, well if there were never another tourney there would still be plenty of fisherman glad that they can fish in safe water.

Not sure how a rule that is set to make sure the fish are kept safe is stupid?
    I guess checking deer at random and at set preset locations for CWD and other things is also stupid? I Have fished plenty of tourney's in my life and I just don't understand what the big deal is about cleaning your bait tanks/live wells out once in a while.......

11. Tim G

Tim G New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    well from what i understand about the VSH is the the new law is they dont want any bait fish caught at 1 body of water fished in another , they only want fishermen to catch bait out of the same pool their fishing , the baits that are bought at bait shops is ok, they have been tested. an i dont think you have too clean out your tank if you have farm raised baits but on this iam not totally sure, but if you fish differnt bodys of water all the time then i would clean out my bait tanks after each use , some of the tourament fishermen i know use a spray bottle with water an a teaspoon of bleach to clean out their live wells &bait tank but you have to rinse them out real good after cleaning your tanks

12. Swishersweet

Swishersweet New Member

State:
    Bourbonnais, Illinois
    I don't think the ILDNR has has done enough to inform the public about VHS. I found out about it while I was searching their website for some other information. I haven't seen postings at the boat launch bulletin boards at some popular cooling lakes I fish. The crooks in Springfield need to leave their grubby hands out of Conservation money so the DNR can become more effective. It p**ss me off when I check my state taxes and donate the extra money when I buy my license for conservation and the crooks divert it.

VHS has already been already been confirmed in Lake Michigan. It is probably just a short matter of time before it will be found in the Illinois river and on into the Missisippi river. Think asian carp...... Maybe the state needs to stock blues in the Illinois river to start eating them up.

Last week I read that the Federal EPA has passed new laws to change the way ships have to empty and clean their ballast tanks before entering the Great Lakes to stop the spreading of invasive species and disease. Several groups are taking the Federal EPA to court stating the law isn't tough enough and needs to be stepped up. I hope this issue doesn't get buried in the news so we can stay on top of it.

13. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois

14. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well the sad fact of the matter is, the state of Illinois is not worried about the Sippy, the are concerned with Lake Michigan and everything else in the North East corner of the state........ But instead of just proposing regulations for that area why not blanket the state and make MORE MONEY, you all know that is their way of thinking.......

16. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    Thanks everyone for all the info on the VHS. I looked it up on the DNR and im going to Google it hear soon. I know that i will be cleaning my boat everytime i use it in differnt water now but i know it will be in the IL river soon if it is in the Great Lakes and even farther if we can figuer out a way to stop it. but i just want to say thanks to all the post about it. But i think that everyone out there that fishes need to know about this not just people in IL.

17. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I may be wrong but its my understanding that this law was made as are many dnr regs at the recommendation of one person and I spoke with him on the phone about it.Yes it was created because of some species of fish being infected with the virus in lake michigan.And no you cannot transport bait alive from a body of water to a bait tank at home and then back to the same body of water that is Illegal.Also yo may not be in possesion of dead bait or cut bait that you caught if it is listed as certain species that are carriers of the disease.Unless it is from a bait store and certified tested. This was just my understanding of it from the phone conversation and may be wrong but it is listed on the ildnr website. I dont like it but what can you do its not up for debate he decided its final for now.

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    This comes from a fella that doesn't even support the fisheries in the state of Illinois because he buys his tags from Mo. Now how much could you really care what the state of Illinois tries to do whether right or wrong, I have to ask you Jason? :smile2: Kind of like the fella that B**ches about the president but didn't bother to vote isn't it? :wink:

20. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois

Your right Randy,I don't support the fisheries in the state of Illinois. Why would I? I have paid a lot of money over the years to fish in the state of IL.,but I'm not sure where that money has gone. Didn'T you read my last post? If I have to travel to another state to access the water I want to fish why not support the one I believe is doing a better job in regulating our fishery. Lets face it, Mo. has more ramps to access our rivers. And I have to admit Mo. keeps there ramps in a lot better shape than IL. Let me ask you this, do you have a Mo. license? The last time you went fishing on the river,Did you access the Mississippi from the IL side? Probably not. But I can guarantee you one thing, You will NEVER EVER hear me bitch about our president! Unless I find out he is the reason IL doesnt have any boat ramps.:smile2: