Fishing reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FISHINSANTEE, Mar 20, 2007.

1. FISHINSANTEE

FISHINSANTEE New Member

State:
    sc
    Right now I fish with all penn 209's but I am looking for a smaller reel for more of a fight. I have Abu's for bass fishing but will a 6500 handel a 50 lb cat.

2. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    The 6500 with right line should handle what ever you can get on the line. Good fishin and I hope you can catch aloy of fish this year.

Kirk

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    6500 will work no problem.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It'll work great, just let the pole fight the fish.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I ditto this post. With good Trilene Big Game line the 6500 should do the job.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the only reason for downsizing your gear is to catch smaller fish.your asking about 50 lb.catfish so i assume your still fishing for big fish why go smaller.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya the 6500, should work.

8. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The 6500 will handle that with no problem with the right line and rod.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I used to hear this argument in hunting camps across the west.WHy hunt with a 300 Weatherby when an 06 will kill it just as dead,why use an 06 when a 270 will kill it just as dead?WHy use a 270 when a 6mm will kill it just as dead.why use a 6mm when a 22-250 will kill it just as dead and so on and so on ,until we had worked our way back to the .22 short.Will 10 hp move your truck,?yep it will,does it provide a margin for all situations? Nope.Essentially you fight fish with the rod and the reel is a lineholder which provides drag against the fish.A perfect example is a flyrod.Long lever with a winch on it to retrieve line.I have caught many large fish on ulralight spinning outfits including a 22lb striper on 6lb test line.Would I deliberately set out to fish for large cats or stripers with that outfit,probably not.Of course the 6500 will do the job,question is do you really want it to?:smile2:

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never saw that rule in the "fishing rule book". Guess I'm gonna get a ticket from the fishing line police. I do like having the clicker and extra line though.

11. snakeman455

snakeman455 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    6500's will deffently handle a 50# and more

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I think it would do fine.

14. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    i do like the idea of the new "carbontek" drag washers for the new series of reels. i think you can find them for the 6500 series if you look around. the frame and works of the abu's can take more drag than they can be given with standard drag washers, and the new ones definately clamp down better, and are just as clean on the release. at least that's without a biggun on the 6600 yet.

Eric B

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I personally believe that a slow or medium action rod worked best for me when I wanted a rig to span a large gap,weight wise for fish.I learned this through experience,not intelligence.No rig will do everything perfectly.You are asking about what I call a "Utility Rig",be it a Casting,Trolling,open or closed face spinning.With the newer (to me as I am 61) small line diameters to weight ratios,you can have great bait catching lines that can also handle huge fish.A cheap rod will last with light drag and small fish.It will take a well made rod to handle a large fighting fish.I like the old sturdy "Glass" rods for a utility rig.Saltwater "Downrigger rods" are where I look for the type of rods to span the huge difference of fish sizes and speeds of saltwater fish.Even on the Santee,your catch that you are reeling in,can suddenly become your bait.Also,something to always think about.Why not purchase rigs that will fish fresh or salt water?They normally will stand up far better than "fresh water"only rigs.I Have watched programs on TV where people fished Santee for Big Cats and Saltwater for Redfish with the same reels.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee