Fishing reels

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Scott Daw, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    hows it going everyone? I was wondering what the appeal or benefits are with the baitcast reels? I can never get the thumb control right and always created a birdnest that bigbird could get lost in. I use only spinning reels.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    me too, Scott....open faced spinners for me, and an ocassional RSC5

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    You have to thumb it, use your thumb very lightley to slow it down, that will prevent all them birds nest

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I just switched to Baitcasters this year.. Im liking them quite a bit. I still need more time with em, as I still cant cast as far as I can with my spincast..
    I fish loose line with my spincast (keep button pushed) and watch the line to start running out.. With a baitcast, I now have a clicker :big_smile:
    With a baitcast, I can now put more and bigger line on the spool.
    The baitcast has alot more pulling power and better drag than my spincasting reels...
    I was never a big open faced fan, so not sure of the differences for you.
    As far as birdnesting, Its all about adjusting the brake for the weight your using. I still have mine a tad tight (thus the shorter casts) as I'm still training my thumb on it...

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use both but I'm not very good with the baitcasters. I can't cast a light weight without a backlash that looks like Don Kings hair-do. I use my ABU 6500 for 1 ounce or more and open face spinners for everything else. For big cats I use salt water spinners as they are a bit stronger.