Fishing reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Phil Washburn, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i figure this will get moved, but i hope it stays for a day or 2 so all can see it.
    i am going to acquire one of Lyles heavy rods (after all, it seems like all the admins have one:smile2:), and i want some input on a heavy duty open faced spinning reel to mount on it. now i realize that Lyles stuff is not low end, and i want to get an upper end reel for such an excellent rod. my budget will allow something between 20 and 250 bucks......i know, a 20 dollar reel is not much for such an endeavor:roll_eyes:

my target is 100 to 200 dollars....anyone have some suggestions?:big_smile:

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I would go with a shimano baitrunner.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with the Shimano Baitrunner, it comes in 3 different models 3500(smallest), 4500(medium size), 6500(biggest).

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Shimano Shimano Shimano you can not go wrong with this Shimano!!!!!!!

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have to admit, i have a shimano symetre on an ugly stik and that is an excellent reel...smoooooooth and balanced...i think you guys are on to something:big_smile:

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent used one of the baitrunners but have heard great things about them. Shimanos are my favorite brand of spinning reels hands down.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Shimano Stradic 6000, any of the Shimano Baitrunners. Looking impressive but too soon to tell as far as reliability are the new Pfluegers President which I have and the Medalist and havent heard a single odd noise outta of the Pflueger and super smooth. This is from a Shimano lover still have my original Shimano reel which I passed down to my nephew.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have used the large saltwater Daiwas in the past with outstanding results for many years.They no longer make the models we all loved.The only Shimano that I have is the Charter Special which I love.I heavly researched large spinning reels a few years back as that is all that I can handle at times with my hands.I decided on the Okuma Coronada CD90 as I could never afford the Large Comparitable Shimano TU1600 Thunnus,the parts or acessarys when wanted or needed.So I started saveing up to buy one.I suprisedly ended up with 3 to use to my death.On the recomendation of my benifacter,I used my little saveings up money to buy 3 "complete with drags" spare spools.All which cost me less than one of the Shimano spools would have cost at the time.Okuma reels and parts were far cheaper.This reel is is being used with satisfied owners to catch 30-100+lb.fish that swim from 30 to 47 MPH just as the Shimano Thunnus and Spheros are.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Phil,
    If you want/need the baitrunner feature then the Shimano is the way to go. If that is not important to you check out the Fin-Nor reels. Huge line capacity and very well built...W

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i like the idea of the baitrunner, Winston, and i have several reels that have it. however, the clicker is almost inaudible to me.my hearing is not as good as it used to be, but the clicker on the spinning reels have NO volume. i have heard lots of them on the baitcasters and they are easy to hear.

why the makers don't put a little volume on the spinner clickers is beyond me

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  12. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a lot of worms!

I can't fish with anything that nice, I'd be scared to death it would fall overboard.

13. tattoobubba

tattoobubba New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree that shimano BTR reels are as good as they get. I own a 4500 and a 6500 and have never had a problem with them. I still prefer a good baitcaster for the cranking power. But when I am bankfishing I like the distance I can get out of a spinning reel on a surf rod when I have less weight on.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    As I am sitting here on "Phil",I am thinking. I surly hope you get what ever reel you want.I think that you deserve it and I wish that I could buy it for you.I surly would if I could.For those of you that don;t know,I truly believe that I am alive because of Phil.I needed.I could not afford.I received.Yea! I love the BOC and all of the good people on here.Nuff said.I love you Brother.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, after much searching and reading, i have decided to go with the shimano stradic....hope to buy a 4000 on ebay.

the color may make it hard for Lyle to match when he makes my rod:eek:oooh:

but it makes no difference - i have made up my mind:wink:

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Gosh.I never thought that you would settle for anything less than a $1299.00 ZeeBaaS! We will all be waiting on a "Review" of your outfit.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. finnor

finnor New Member

State:
    louisiana
    take a look at the new fin nor reels,solid reels great drag.