Fishing Reel suggestion...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by WooleyBooger, Apr 17, 2009.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm looking for an inexpensive but decent spinning reel that has some sort of bait clicker, or alert on it...does such a thing exist?

Also, if i was on a tight budget, but looking for a pretty nice bait cast rig with clicker, what would you suggest? I've heard good thing about the Catmaxx, but is there something else comparably priced that would be a better deal?

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    depending on your budget, i like the catmaxx myself.. ive got a 8ft 2pc, and love it..

if your looking for something a little smaller, walmart here in indiana are carrying abu garcia 6600 on 7ft 1pc MH rods. selling as a combo for $70

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i dont do spinning but the best budget baitcaster that i have tried is an okuma classic for around $30. i not shure on the catmaxx reel price i think its around $60? for that an abu 6000 could be had or a pflueger contender not shure how big of reel your wanting but a penn220gto is also in that price range with a stiffer clicker they r ok

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I have two of the Shakesphere Tidewater open faces. Thier pretty nice. They don't have a live clicker on them. I've brought in many of big fish with them. I mostly use on 8' rods with my floatrigs. Thier around $40.00.

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    the least expensive one i can think of is the okuma coranado they run 75 dollars or so for the 50 series. they bumped up the price when they added a one way bearing. but they are great reels.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    shakespere tidewater 30L is a good reel for the money and it holds a ton of line,check them out.

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    get you a couple 6500c's and be done

8. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Here's the best penny pinching rig that I have...
    Shakespeare SKP 2000C - Ebay, $8.50
    Shakespeare WildCat 7' MH Rod - KMart, $17.00
    Total = $25.50

The Shakespeare SKP 2000C is very similar to an Abu Garcia 6500C, except it doesn't cast quite as well, it does have a clicker. The WildCat pole is a sturdy fiberglass pole, it's white with a florescent orange tip, great for fishing at night.

9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would look at the okuma avenger 50 they are darn good for the little dough they cost i got mine at cabelas for 54.00 and thats cheap 4 a great reel oh and they have the baitfeeder system on em i hope this helps

10. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    As far as bells and whistles on a spin reel. I think Zebco has a spin or spincast that a light comes on and a siren of some kind. Dont know anything about them. For my spin outfit I use a Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder and a electronic buzzer I got from Basspro. The line clips between a contact bar. When a bite occurs the line is pulled out and a loud signal goes off. Louder than a clicker, wakes me up, I mean gets my attention:smile2:.

11. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Sorry forgot about the baitcast qustion. I like the Catmaxx reel. Have caught cats,halibut,salmon,strippers. However as someone already mentioned it does not cast that well. Great for trolling or short casts. Ask me what I have the most of and that would be Abu's. Best for money,maint,relieability. Save your money and make it an investment instead of buying again in a year or two. You get what you pay for.

12. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    if you want a baitcaster get a Penn, if you can cast a Penn. you can cast anything!
    one of the older penns (made in usa) #9 or 209, 309 can be found cheap at pawnshop, even a new (china) 209 is only $59.00 at baitshop near here. they are simple, takes some practice to cast but will almost never wear out! and did I mention older ones w(b4 2000) were made in the usa?:wink:
    everyone has their favorite but I was fishing and dreaming of penns (16/0 with a 16ft tiger shark on the end of it) when I was in grade school.
    that was at least a coupla weeks ago! :roll_eyes:

of course I got a few fancy overseas reels too but I can brag cause I got a Penn!

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

For a spinning reel,I,d go with the saltstriker baitfeeder model sold by cabelas.60 to 70 bucks depending on the size.They,re in their saltwater catalog,don,t know if they,re in the freshwater catalog.

15. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As mentioned the Okuma Avenger, I'll also add the Daiwa emcast 6000

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id like to retract my previous statement about the 220gto they are not very good quality waste of money. they are good when you first get them but they dont hold up.

17. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

You orta be able to getta Penn 180 or 155 fer bout $25 bucks (or less) offa Ebay. Nice lil reels that'll last ya till ya wanna advance to a bigger reel. And they're made in America. You'll havta learn to thumb the line since they dont hava level wind. But they cast nice. Stick some 50# or 65# super braid of yer choice on em an yer ready to go.

18. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think catmaxx does very well for the money.