Fishing Reel for an inexperienced catfisherman?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by jaroddog, Jan 9, 2006.

1. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a reel for catfishing. Either a baitcaster or a spinning reel would be find. I'm looking for something cheap and easy to cast. I've used a few abu reels and liked them, but I'm not sure I want to put a lot of money into new reels unless there is something cheap at Wal-Mart. Just looking for your suggestions of bargain reels.

Thanks,
    Jarod

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Jarod welcome. Just remember that cheap is at most times exactly what it says, cheap. Its obvious that ya have some knowledge about reels by what ya said. Why trust somethin that may not perform for ya when ya need it most. What kinda cats are ya lookin to target? This will come into play for makein your choice. I'm a beleiver in a little bit of good gear than alot of cheap gear. You'll get plenty of feedback on this one. LOL!

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jarod, check out ebay. you can find a few deals.

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Jarod, follow what you know and get a new abu as you are already familiar with them. My opinion is you can"t go wrong with them and taken care of will last for many years.

5. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Another option is to go to your local tackle shop and look for a Baitrunner. They are also sometimes called a live liner, but they are an open face reel with a lever on the back that allows line to be pulled off by the catfish with out causing a birdsnest to be created under your bail. To reingage it, just turn the handle one full turn or so.
    They are much eaiser to learn on but they do not have a very loud clicker like the Penn's do (the ones I use).
    Another neat reel is the Mitchell 600 full runner. They cost around $40 or so and they have the free spool option but they also flash and beep to let you know you have a bite. I have two and love them but I wouldn't put more than 17 lb test on it. They're so great for Channels and smaller Blues and Flats; I did however catch a 16lb Carp on it and it really put up a fight.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you can get one of the red abu reels and a rod at wal mart for just under 50 , you should find them already put together. That is about as cheep as I would go to start with cats. But if you don't want to spend that much or if you are not sure about cat fishing then go this route. You cant beat the zebco 33 push button reel for the money and they can catch fish. If you find you like cat fishing you will buy something like this later to use for catching bait so you can't go wrong there just get it first. I have use the higher dollar abu and peens for years but have found something I like better. Flueguer trion model 66 it is not found many places, there is two kinds of trion baidcasters this is not the low profile reel, it is a bigger round model and it has a clicker. I like it better than my abu reels and that say a lot from me. It will outcast my other reels almost double and has a good drag, it will run about 100 for reel only.

7. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    As far as cheap reels. I usually buy from wally-world the Shakspere Tiger spinning combo. It runs around $20. I have 3 and never had any probs. I found that Spiderwire Stealth 50# test (diameter of 12# mono) works well in this reel.
    I'm sure someone will disagree saying that it is too cheap and what not but I have had the rod doubled over the side of the boat and both it and the reel performed very well.
    David Frantz

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If you are looking for something cheap, Walmart usually has some spinning combos for around 30 bucks that I've used with good success for saltwater fishing. I'v got 4, I think, and carry them when I have someone with me who can't use a baitcast reel. They've held up really well and have caught some big fish, up to maybe 40-50# sharks.

FishMan, I've been looking for someone who uses the Trion 66. I want to try one, but don't have any user input. Tell me more....

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thinking of cheap fishing combos, makes me think of all the rod and reels my parents bought me through out the years as a child. Some of them made it to the river and some where pretty much worthless by the time I got to the river. I was rough on my toys! Plastic parts would break. Untape the line and it would jump off the spool at you. The handles would strip if the plastic gear didnt strip first. Then there is the bail on the cheaper spinning reel. I got a box full of them with one thing or another wrong with the bail. Have the reel break off the rod while your fighting a 3 pound fish, or the top section come off and slide down into the water while your hung up, lol! Anyway, I would recomend looking on our classified ad section, for a decent used rig (abu and ugly)on E-bay and my favorite is craigslist. "You get what you pay for" has never been truer then with our sport!

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    tommy: I love mine and plan to buy more I will keep buying them to replace my abu collection or until or unless they prove not to hold up. It's like fishing with really high dollar bass equipment only it is catfish size. I also know people that use them for stripes and muskey. I don't think you will be sorry for trying one. It's only the model 66 that has the clicker and will handle bigger line.

Danny

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Go to walmart and look at some of the shakespeare and rhino reels not real expensive but still good. Some of the batcaster reals they will have locked up behing glass or the counter just ask for help, atleast the walyworlds around here are like that.

12. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys,
    I'm wondering what size of line does this need rod (regardless of what I choose), need to handle. I've used one of my uncle's abus. I could cast a mile with it. It was 5600 model, which may be a bit too small for what I need, but what I really liked about it was the fact that it had a big thumb bar that sat right above the spool, not off to side on the frame like the C3. It was a few years old, but I liked that feature. Any ideas of where I could find this?

13. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I meant to say reel. Sorry. Also is there a way to edit a post?

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    jaroddog I meant to say reel. Sorry. Also is there a way to edit a post?
    When you type a reply, you have an option to either 'submit reply', or 'preview post'. If you use preview option, you can see what it will look like, and make changes. After the post is submitted, there is an icon to click on for editing, but you only have a limited amount of time to do so, maybe 5 minutes. Hope this helps.

15. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    i rarely look at price for my reels, I have some expensive reels that i do not like and some cheap ones that I will use til the day they fall apart. I go off the reel themselves. How easy does the reel/spool turn. Ho wis the drag? Where is it located? On spinning reels I prefer mine on the back vs the front. I have noticed over time that the ones with rear drags tend to have less issues over time.

It also depends on what you are going after. A bigger fish is going to require bigger line, bigger line, bigger spool, bigger spool, bigger reel. Line on the reeel in my opinion is about as important as the reel itself. A good match can make poor quality look good and a bad match can do the opposite.

16. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    if your gonna put money into something for fishing,a reel should be the #1 priority,after purchasing a boat of course!

If money is an issue right now then by all means get what you can,but if its in yer range and yer just not sure you wanna spend the money,get the best you can,you'll appreciate it later,guranteed.

Abu's werk very well for haulin in stripers!

17. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    screw walmart,e bay has 2 that i see for under 50 bux

5500c3 fer 31 dollars,ya got 9 hours left

6500c3 41bux again 9 hours left

its 10 am eastern here ya got till 7 eastern..........go get ya a reel!

18. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Whats the main difference between the Abu Garcia 6000 reel and the 6000C3 (I think those are the right model #s). What I'm trying to say is that my Wal-Mart keeps the c3's behind glass while the the cheaper line (5000 and 6000) are left out. Which ones do you guys prefer?

19. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I got 2 shakespear synergy 20s for $32 bucks at Gandermountain the other night. I thank I could finesse a big blue(30-40lbs) in on them. I got a Zebco733 for Christmas and it is the same weightyness as the others. It costs $30bucks at Wal-Mart. I thank if your not fishin from the bank and wantin to cast 3/4 of a mile, then these reels are usable. I fish from the bank and cast out as far as I need to. I hope this helps someone. I know I want to have reels like you guys have but right now it just aint in my future. But I can have a lot of fun with what I have. I can even tell my kids some day(if I ever have any) that the big one got away and broke my line. I will love to tell those fishin stories to the younguns. see yall later .

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How much are you wanting to spend?

EBay has an Abu 6000 buy it now for $36 plus others in that price range. I think you can spend $50 & get a decent Abu. You can find lots of 6000-6500's for >$50.