Fishing reel fix

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by CatKing13, Jul 21, 2008.

1. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello everyone, Im pretty new to the website but everyones info has been a lot of help to myself and my roommate in tracking down those big cats!:smile2: But i have a problem. Took a friend out on the boat not to long ago who claimed he could fish (should have known better) and soon enough he has tore up the drag on one of my Abu's. I took it to a bait shop and he gave me a 60 dollar estimate....it was just 25 to take it apart and look at it, also the anti-reverse is not working but i think thats from me taking it apart, realizing im not a handy man and then trying to put it back together. If anyone can help me out please let me know. Thanks a lot!

2. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I put a slideshow on here and it didn't take, so I'll go get it and try again

3. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Good day, CK 13. (Im a newbie too) Pray, tell: which Abu are you running? The internet has several "tutorials" to complement the nice slide show in this thread. (The subject reel in the show appears to be an eary red 7000, but yours could be a 55, 65, 56, 66, etc.)
    Myself, or another reader will more than likely point the point the way, once your reel type is indicated.
    All the best, KD

PS: 25 for just an inspection is like a tax grab: a bit steep. It takes about 5 minutes to rip down most Abu reels... so that's 300.00 an hour. The bait shop owner must either be a plumber, or a lawyer !! ****laugh****
    A reasonable fee would be 10.00, to be applied against the fix, if the fix goes ahead. If the fix is aborted, then the sport gets the reel back in pieces.

4. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Hello Mr Smith, How have you been doing and have you been doing any fishing, I would guess that you have, Have you caught any bigun's, I'm looking forward to Pickwick, and also looking forward to cold blue water's on the Cumberland. there's just something about getting out there in the winter fishing that I like..LOL..Well have you a good one..Tom

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark that bait shop sounds like a rip off. Follow Canepole instructions and do it yourself.

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Not too much fishing tom.I have installed 8 new Pella windows and that has me kinda grunting {i'm glad God included grunts when he created us]
    I'm off to Cincy tomorrow and maybe get into some fishing while i'm there for a week.

I have been draining my gas tank.Bubba kat told me to be sure and get rid of that old gas.He seems to be a pro in boats.Nice guy.

we'll have to get together when it gets colder and the Big-un get running.

7. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    There's alot of stuff that can be found on line, about fixing your reel, The main thing when you take her apart make sure you put the parts in the order that came off, so that you have them laid out.