Fishing reel and line for flathead catfish - How big?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kat buster, Mar 25, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    :0a35: I was wondering what type of action rod I sould get for flatheads. Also how big of reel and line. I have heard of people catching from #45 to #60 pounders

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It all depends on where you are fishing..If fishing Rivers with possible heavy current I would reccomend a quantum bigcat medium heavy, or heavy action with a abu garcia 7000 and Berkly biggame line of 30-lb test...I fish rivers so thats the best setup I can suggest.

3. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    M/H Quantum Big Cat, ABU 7000C, Big Game 50# in open water. Heavy Quantum Big Cat, Penn 310GTI, Penn Jigmaster, Power Pro 80# in heavy cover. These seem to cover my waters fished in what I term medium rivers.

I have traveled away from my "home" waters and fished with some friends and felt I was over powered. Kind of depends on what waters you fish.

4. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well i have two penn 320LD reels on m/h ugly stick tiger rods with 30#big game in solar green and i have a penn 320GT2on a m/h penn slammer rod with the same big game line and i also have a abu garcia 6500 trophy collection on a m/h penn slammer rod with stren 40#line not to mention the lite gear i use also but i fish the lakes and the rivers of Ohio and so far these have proven to be all i have needed

5. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I use a cheap 20.00 reel with a tiger rod with 30 pound spiderwire it that good I hope so I still have not caught a flathead maybe i am doing something wrong

PLEASE HELP

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    DJ, For flats use a mediumheavy rod and a 6500 or 7000 abu reel. Like one post above if you don't have to worry about your fish taking you into a snag 30lb on the 6500. If you mainly fish a river then go to 50 or 80lb power-pro on a 7000 to keep some kinda control over a big one. I know its overkill on 20's and 30's but if you have a chance at a 50 to 70 lb cat why not be prepared from the start.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    No you have just been lucky is all. If you did hook one on it, it would be a heartbreaker!!! to loose a big fish because of equipment failier is a bad thing to say the least "real depressing"

8. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I'm not an expert on Flats or even fished them, however I've bought my equipment do to the advise of those who are highly knowledgeable here at BOC. My outfits include 2 PENN 320's and 2 AMBASSADEUR 7000C3'S also have a Jigmaster 500 and Quantum Iron reel, going to use 2 MH TIGERS and a Heavy Ugly Stick Boat Rod this year with 100 lb. power pro on at least 2 of my reels.

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I'm right along with you guys, either a quantum iron or a 7000. Then a big cat or a tiger.

10. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hard to go wrong w/ an abu 6500 spooled w/ 40 lb Big Game on a Cat Maxx or Tiger Rod.

11. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks ever one for the info! From what ever one is saying a ugly stick with a abu garcia 6500 and #50 big game is the way to go. Theres only one problem. I am flat broke and a 6500 is big $$$$$$$:cursing: . I have a king kat rod and spinning reel I bought from Cabelas. That was before I figured out there were flatheads #30 to #50 pounds in the river I am fishing in. I guess it will be a fun fisht if I hook up with one.:cross:

12. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    P.S. were can I go to find a ugly stick catfish rod????

13. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    try catfish connection for the ugly stick,also okuma reels are a little less expensive,i have 2 and have never had any problems,