Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little radio I take fishing is about on it's last legs, Gonna need a new one.

Any recomendations?

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
I picked up a little one, smaller than a folding cell phone, with those individual ear headphones for about 3 bucks. It fits in the tackle box real nice.

My wife laughed at me giving 3 bucks for it. I guess Walmart had them for a buck, she used them for stocking stuffers last Christmas. lol

In my camper I have a small Grundig shortwave that works great. All kinds of odd ball stuff on it in the middle of the night.

·
Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"a little one, smaller than a folding cell phone,"

That would be a bit smaller than I like and I have seen way to many of those Slasher movies to be comfortable with earphones. (look out! he's right behind you !! LOL:smile2:)

I need it small enough to fit into a backpack with the rest of my junk, AM/FM would be fine.
Not too awful expensive, I am pretty rough on them.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I dont know what you want to spend but my lady bought me a wind up flashlight -and radio-its a Jensen-works well so far.you can put batteries in it also........

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Id reccommend one of those shower radios. I have on that is a cd player and radio.It runs on D batteries and is extremely water resistant. I bought it at a garage sale so I am not sure what they cost. Electronics are getting pretty cheap these day so it probably not too expensive new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's one I found on Amazon. Looks like it's pretty handy. 4 way power, AM/FM/Weather. Do a search on: Kaito KA009

Or who knows, if you're good, your brother in KY may find something hiding in his closet! :smile2:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I enjoy the quiet of fishing, but i do have a vhf radio that has a weather alert on it, when you do get a radio make sure it has a weather alert with it, you never know when that freak storm comes in.

·
Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"when you do get a radio make sure it has a weather alert"

LOL!! Why start now? Even though I try to keep a close watch on the forecast and keep a weather eye, I have been busted by so many surprise storms I think it just another day!

Got nailed out to the trout pond just the other day, before I could get my rods in, my shoes were full of ice cold rain.(and they were probably the driest part of me) 30 mph + wind and what felt like a 20 deg temp drop. Joy, joy!

Seriously, weather band I would like but from the reviews of the ones I looked at so far, in the price range I want, all were rated poor on tuning the weather bands.
Summer time, If I am concerned, I switch to AM and listen for the lightning.

·
Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darn! That Kaito looks nice!
Several $$ more than I want to spend but I may have to think about that.

·
Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW Welcome to the board Shawn!!:big_smile:

This is the fellow who took my avatar picture.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't use a radio but it would not work for me anyway, in my area there is not a station I like to listen to while fishing so I just don't bother. if anything I like to get me an mp3 player and bring tunes I like.

·
Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"You can tell that we were fishing the same holes!"

Howz that?
From the size of those gargantuan leviathans we captured??:wink:

The river level dropped 4 feet when I pulled mine out!!:smile2::smile2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.