Fishing Ponds Drying Up!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by okie catfishen, Jul 19, 2006.

1. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I am only 23 years old but almost every pond I used to fish when I was a kid has dried up this summer due to no rain and record heat. I have started fishing lakes a lot more than I used to and have noticed others doing the same. How many of you think that this is going to change the number of fish that are in our lakes. Not only are we loosing our fish in all our ponds, but our lakes also? How many of you think the same or am I just making things worse in my head. I know of two ponds that I could go to and catch 15-20 bass, and 20 catfish in a few hours. now they are dryed up. My wife and I went by one of them when it was just 2 feet deep right before it dryed up and there was hundreds of fish splashing, and after we pulled a few out the were pail and not worth eating. It made me sick to see all those fish just dye.

Keith
    Newcastle, Oklahoma

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I haven't fished any ponds in twenty years or so, but I've noticed the lake levels are low.

We have been fishing at Bernice and the last couple weeks, we have noticed the level drooping pretty fast.

The area we fished last week, isn't nothing but rocks now.

I don't know what's going to happen if we don't get some good rains?

Ken

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm sorry to hear about all the dry weather you are getting down there, its a shame. But it's nature and there's not much you can do about it. A few years ago here they manually drained a 5 acre lake for I can't remember what reason, but when they started draining it, a lot of people went over and caught their limits of fish and also took aerated tanks over there to take a lot of fish back to their own ponds and such. We went over and caught about 20 catfish out of it and took them to the creek right down the road from there that we fish a lot. Also caught 6 largemouths and about 10 crappies and let them go in there too. Kept quite a few nice sized bluegills that we caught.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    its too bad you couldn't take the fish out of the drying up ponds before they totally dried up and put them into other places... Its a shame to see the fish die like that...

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sorry, to hear about ur fishing holes drying up.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    It is sad to see but it happens every now and then. Just part of nature and the cycle of life. Hope yall get some rain soon brother.

7. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Youd don't have to worry about any type of lakes drying up thats for sure.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I may be the one misunderstanding, but I think what you are asking about is what effect the additional pressure will have on the lakes? As long as people fish responsibly, and only keep what they plan to eat, I don't think it will have to much of an impact.

As for ponds drying up, it happens here in Kansas about every 25 years or so. I remember when I was in high school all the ponds around my home town went dry, some of them my Dad grew up fishing on, and he said they had never gone dry in his life time.

As for the ponds that DO go dry, unless they go BONE dry, don't give up on them for catfish anyway. Catfish, especially eatin' size, can live through significant drought. They will burrow into the mud, and can live this way for weeks if need be. My grandparent's pond went "dry" when I was little, only had a few small puddles left here and there, and very sloppy muddy. We got some good rain and filled it back up. About a month later I was bored and playing by the pond, and I saw rings in the water. I got my cane pole and caught some grasshoppers, and there were still a ton of bullheads and small channel cat in there!:confused2:

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I had a similar experience last year with, with the drought one of the ponds I used to fish had gotten very shallow and they drained it because they feared that cattle would get stranded in the mud, and when they did there was talk of state record bass and bluegil in there after they drained it!

Aaron

TA2D

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    UGH! You just brought back some memories I would rather forget! There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING worse than going out and trying to get a dead cow who has gotten herself stuck in the mud, or drowned in the pond, in the middle of August! I have had to do that countless times! The farmer I worked for would take the tractor down, I would have to wade out, thigh deep in mud and muck, wrap the chain around the dead cow, who was usually all bloated up from the 100+ heat. He would then drag her out, IF she stayed together! Sometimes she would come out in pieces, that was the worst!:roll_eyes:

11. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Same thing is going on at our ponds here on base, they are down about 4 ft right now and the water is getting too hot for the fish and they are dying.