Fishing poles and cold-question.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by tomcat85, Sep 30, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i keep all my fishing stuff on my side porch and it gets pretty cold out there. i was wondering if the cold will effect my rods in anway? they are both new and i dont want to them to get ruined. thanks guys.

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Mine stays outside on my boat and I haven't noticed any difference in the action or anything like that.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is a possibility that if they are excessively cold and you put a sharp bend in them, that they will break. If fishing in below freezing weather, you may want to bend them occasionally to keep them loose. If your not fishing in extremely cold weather, your missing a lot of fish.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I leave many of mine in the shed and havent noticed anything. Fish in the winter if you can stand it but your eyes will sometimes freeze shut, any tips for that?

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I think it would have to get extremely cold ,way below freezing before it hurt anything .

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I too have eyelets freeze. I use wd-40 on them. It helps alot. WD_40 means Water Displacement something.
    Bill

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    wd-40 ? never thought of that . you can also build a fire to warm the air close to where you fish .

8. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I worry about the heat more than the cold - leaving poles locked up in a real hot car causes the bonding materials in the graphite rap to eventually weaken and tear apart- I lost a very expensive fly rod this way :crazy:

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    mine stay outside all year long have not had any probems with them