Fishing pole Holders in boats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catmaster, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    What are the best pole holders to put on your boat? (any specific brand or type?)

:0a23: :0a23: :0a23:

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Lots of good information down in the "Fishing Rod Holder Review" forum.

4. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i went with the 360 HT holders from cabelas and am very satisfied with 'em. decent price when you buy the 4 pac.

5. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    i made some of the pvc rod holders that are C shaped they are listed in the liburary and for the cost of pcv (free scrap) you couldnt ask for a better rod holder (well thats my thought anyway) :) but there is some realy nice do-it yourself stuff in there that can save a poor guy a lot of money.

6. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I made some from PVC but modified mine a little bit different...... original design from library.
    I am looking at some Bee-Ready brand holders right now because I like the sleak design and they are affordable. Tim Hagen sells them and he is one of our sponsors. If you spoke to him I'm certain he would get you taken care of. If wanting to save the money, I would recomend making your own..... get online and look at all the various styles and just get creative. Then one made of PVC are great too. I just have not figured out how to mount them to a rail yet.

David Frantz

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    IMO, DRIFTMASTERS are the best rod holders out there.:worship: Driftmaster Pros

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Catmankev, It is all what you want and what will suit your needs..I have seen many pole holders .. some guys have them on the side of their boat while others have comtractions that go from one side to the other.. I took 2" pvc and ran it the length of my 16' jon boat from seat to seat..I secured it 2" from the bottom in to the rims and cut holes every 8" in the pvc..my poles sit in the hole with the bottom of the pole resting on the floor of the boat and the rod rest against the rim of the boat. I have had hang ups and fish that bent the poles over to the water and never lost a pole..doing the holes every 8" I can sit up anywhere on front back or either side. Doing this you also have a place to store your dip net! Works good for me. Good luck.

9. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like the idea of running PVC down the sides of the boat. If my boat didn't have them when I bought it I would do that. I just have the attwood plastic jobs from Walmart and they work for me.
    out.

10. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i also like driftmasters pro series.very dependable

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    One word of caution. I originally bought the 360 HT holders in the "Quick Draw" model. I ended up replacing them with the regular model like you mentioned. The Quick Draw style are better, but they are designed for a smaller diameter rod butt. My Ugly Stick Tiger Rods would not fit into the holder.

12. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Lots of great information guys. You can learn a lot on these forums!

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Driftmasters for me Please!:big_smile:

14. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I made my own version of the Quick Draw by using 1-1/2" pvc. I drilled a hole at the bottom of each one to make a pivot point. I built brackets out of metal to hold the pvc tubes. To set the hook, all you have to do is lift straight up.

15. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I use the cabelas ht 360s and what i really like about them is i can move with the rods in the holders and not worry about loosing them. They are very durable and big enough for any rod. If i had to buy holders all over again it would be my choice again. I have yet to see anything that i didn't like about them.

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I have Driftmaster Pro Models On My boat and they have done a Good job. JMHO J.D.
    :sweat: :sweat:

17. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I made mine out of 2 in. pvc. mount them on 2by 4.fasted the 2by4 on each end. they work fine. good info in the library that where i got the idea.

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I agree, I love mine!

19. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There are alot of handy pole holders out there. Like it was said before, you just need to get set-up the best for YOUR needs. I personally use drift-masters.

20. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    alot of good info thanks....