Fishing Pole almost yanked in Jordan Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by laidbck111, Jul 12, 2006.

1. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Last night I was fishing Jordan Lake off of a pier and catching smallish catfish up to 7-8 lbs when one of my poles was about yanked into the water the only thing that keep it from going in was the reel caught on the railing, lucky me. After about a 5 minuter fight I pulled out a Bowfin that was 16 lbs by my scale. Mna what a good fight that fish put up. I also had read that Jordan Lake did not have Blue cats in it but I would have to question that due to the fact I had caught a few blues, channels, brown bullheads and what I thought, but could be wrong, avery small flathead. I will take my camera with me from now on to document any fish I have question about. I would like to thank Cruisenman (Ken) for pointing out this spot for me.

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Almost is just a god fishing technique sounds like you had that ole bowfin fooled until the last second.

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Man those aren't small to me! I guess I need to move to N.C.!
    _

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    You think those are small, you should be down here fishing with me LOL. I would love to catch some fish that size.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the "small" cats.Around here,those are pretty good sized compared to what I usually catch.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    man i wish we had such problems with "small cats" like that

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sorry folks that should have read smallish catfish up to 7-8 lbs:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

8. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    That is a nice one.....close to the State record. I know a cove on the other side of the lake where there is one that looks over 20 pounds. I have seen it twice while netting shad. There are some monsters in that lake.

Those Blue cats you are catching are White cats.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19025

For the love of pete lets not have another month long post on that :big_smile:

Oh yeah, and those little yellow cats with the great big mouths are also bullheads. They do kinda resemble a flathead a little though. Thank goodness there are not more of them in that lake.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    greg you started it with that post!!!!! hot dog here we go..... right when i had just about forgot about that......lol.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep thats where I read about there being no blue cat's in Jordan but what I caught did not look any different than the blue cat's I have caught at Santee other than being a whole lot smaller.

11. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    pictures don't lie........

Sure wish they would stock Blues there....perfect lake for it....

Would be like a big Badin......

12. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia

LOL....that's a little better. I was starting to feel bad catching 2 and 3 lbers. I'm just hoping for 7-8 lbers. every time I go out fishing. Yep....you were lucky on that rod and reel too. Reckon how big that fish woulda went had he taken your rod?!? :lol:

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Blues are easy to pick out. They have a flat anal fin. All other catfish have a rounded anal fin.

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I hooked into a monster out there in the spring broke 50lbs. power pro...allot of debate after I posted that in a previous report as to what kind of fish could break 50lb power pro but that was probably a big bowfin I had on, those suckers got some ferocious teeth.....

Next bowfin you catch, cut it up and use it for bait they bleed ALLOT and make really good cut bait.

Jordan is full of those 6-7lbs...white cats

15. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey, They're not white catfish they are blue channels.................:lol: If you want blues in Jordan you know what to do. I'm not telling you to do it though..........:big_smile:

16. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
  17. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A few weeks ago I caught a nice Baitcaster that somebody had lost. I pulled up a stick with line all over it. Decided to get it out of the water to keep from snagging on it again, and there was a pole hooked on it too. Gave it to my 14 year old and he was making good casts within 20 min. Took me a month to get decent at casting with mine and Im still not real good with it.

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep and what I caught fits that description.

19. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    yup there are blues in that lake despite what people say. My friend caught one out of there a month ago.

20. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Ohhh Here We Go!!!!!