Fishing piers

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by breadboy, Jun 19, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi guys,
    sometime soon, I will fish NC piers. I am going to try to catch some bottom-feeders (spot, mullet, croaker, seatrout, redfish, sharks?, ect.). I am wanting to know what is the best bait to use (shrimp, bloodworms, squid)? I am also thinking I have to use a stiff rod, so I can lift the fishies up. Is that true? I want to feel the fight but I think my 7' 6-12 lb test outfits might break. Any tips? Thanks, I have gone out on piers before but so far haven't caught anything.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

breadboy if you are going for the croakers and spots your 7 footer will be just fine with 12-17 lb line those types of fish usally don't get that large but every once and a while you catch a blue are a skate king and so on. as for bait shrimp and bloodworms are about as good as you can get but the blood worms are a little expensive so you can taks regular old night crawlers and they work are use a bait called Fish-Bites its a great alternate bait and it cost about half of what the real bloodworm would cost. by the way what pier are you going to? and good luck. all of the reports say that the surf and pier fishing is getting better due to the water finally warming up over 70.

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    for the croaker dead shrimp will do fine. for the trout n reds, i'd say live croaker is the best bait or live shrimp under a cork, not on the bottom. for shark, i think the squid is good bait.
    to "lift the fishies up", get a pier net. they have em at academy.

4. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You really think I could use my small 7 footers? I can't get a pier net. I'm low on dough and don't want to buy something I'll use once or twice. Should I cast out from the pier, or should I just drop it near the pilings? Thanks. I do have a couple bags of fishbites.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    For what pier I am going to try, I will try either Johnny mercer's (the new cement one) or Kure Beach. My family will be in the Carolina Beach area near the end of June and I will probably sneak off to the pier lol.

6. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have always had good luck using squid for croakers

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

kures ok and a lot cheaper than Mercers. mercers wants 8 dollars per rod and it will cost you 8 dollars a day to park down the street from from the pier for the day. you might consider Carolina Beach pier I was down there three weeks ago and did pretty good. caught a few sailors choice (good eating) a couple of blues a sheepshead and a few early spots. the kings are starting to run now also I wouldn't advise you going for those. If you have a castnet you might try to get some menhaden. one note about carolina pier its 7 dollars( for two rods, 12 for a king set-up) for all day and night and parking is free as long as you fish( 10 bucks if you don't) and its not that far from Kure And Mercers. good luck.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sorry I forgot about this part when I go I take a 6-6 spinning rod and 7 foot casting rod both with free spool incase I want to use live bait, neither are anything fancy both MH and they do great. I wouldn't cast to far from the pier either I'd say from straight down out to about 40 foot max remeber fish like structure and a steady food supply a pier offers both. If you catch any pinfish feel fre to fed it to the pelicans they love them and they make good cutbait but I wouldn't advise eating one.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sorry everyone just need to add this most of the piers will not let you chum for sharks are even balloon fish for them if you go for sharks get a surf rod 9-12 foot heavy action with a good reel and 25-40 test for line some 50 lb shock leader and wire shark rigs bait is easy go down to the docks when the charter and headboats come back in and find where they are cleaning the fish and ask for the tuna heads most of the guys will just give them to you and some will tell you to take what you want out of the trash but they are always free.

10. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok, thanks. I will try carolina pier (if I can find it) then. I guess I will use my 8' medium spinning outfit with 15 pound test also.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    At least in Texas, most commercial salt water piers have nets available for use by fishermen. They're usually the kind that dangle from a rope and you angle the fish toward it while the net is in the water. Once the fish is in the net, someone hauls it up, takes two people usually. Freshwater gear works well, but remember to rinse it off thoroughly after every fishing trip. If it gets dunked, you may want to take it apart, clean the reel, and oil/grease it.

12. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ok, thanks. The piers I have been on didn't have pier nets though.