Fishing PeeDee River this time of year

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CaTmAnDo55, Feb 28, 2007.

1. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i have never fished the river this time of year is it hard? what area do you fish do you still look for cover or deep holes fast current or slow or sharp bends? how about rocky dropoffs

2. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    There are several good spots off of Hwy. 34 near Mechanicsville. Put in and go down river, but be careful, there is a big sand bar right past the bridges, unless this high water has made it move (doubtful) and several shoal beds. There is a deep hole down river but I have not fished it in years. I usually put in at Society Hill and go up the river for quite a ways. If you go up river to where the pipes come in for Willamette, there is a deep drop in the river bottom. I have also found a productive bend that consistently holds a good number of 7 to 15 pound fish. It is on the right side of the river when you are headed upstream in this area. It is a sweeping curve that is full of blow overs and submerged trees. There is also another "honey hole" that I fish and that is where I caught my biggest from 37 pound flathead. If you pm me I will tell you where it is.

3. WhiskerSticker40

State:
    SC
    I have also caught several fish down near the Bluff around Kingsburg area. I put in and went upriver and fished the bends of the river near blowovers. It has been a couple of years ago and some of the other regulars in here from that area can probaly give better info. Just trying to help out a fellow catman!

4. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We fish the Pee Dee from Cheraw to Society Hill.This time of year we tend to fish shallow using smaller pieces of bait,mostly Gizzard shad.They are several good bends down river from Society Hill.If you're fishing from Cheraw,go up river under #9 bridge & anchor in the rocks-big fish hold tight there.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thomas it can change day by bay. Around the fullmoon the fish hold up in the cover pretty heavy but come out of it in the deeper holes closer to the new moon. What I try to do is find a piece of cover and fish into and then away from it and then in the deepest hole around it to see what is working the best. The main key is pick a stretch of river you like and start on the upstream side and working different holes down stream this will keep your scent trail of bait moving directly ahead of you at all times. This time of year with the water temp low they do tend to stack up in the deep holes in heavy bends cause there is alot of baitfish washing up into these pockets right now. But with warmer weather the temps should be rising quickly and putting those flatties back on the hunt. I hope this helps that is just the way I fish not neccesarily the right way.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    A question has come up; someone asked me how far up the PD is navigable by boat, say a 14' jon boat or something small. I've never been too far up river from hwy 701. What about on up above 378, 76, and I-95?
    Thanks

7. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    I have been to 95 few nice holes up that way not a lot of river bends and it looks a little wider to me but beyond 95 i have never been I've been on the river in a 14 foot john boat to a 18 foot sea ray and my buddy goes past 95 on a pontoon

8. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can go all the way up to hwy# 34(Darlington-Marlboro Conty Line), but just pass the 34 bridge is a line of rocks that you can't cross unless to water is really high. There are some nice fishing wholes up on that end.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah Tommy past 34 is navigateable if you know where to go but there are lots of rocks. But until then all you will have to worry about is an occasional sand bar.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the info, guys. We are looking at putting some receivers up there for sturgeon, probably later this year or next year. The sturgeon that have been tagged and transmitted are about gone now. The transmitters only last a certain length of time, then quit, so we will have to net and transmit more fish before we'll need the receivers.

11. WhiskerSticker40

State:
    SC
    Once you make it past the rocks at Hwy 34, you can make it all the way to Cheraw without any problems in a 14' jon boat, watch out for sandbars if low. I have a question also guys: Are the rocks still as bad at Hwy. 34 since they rebuilt the landing?? A friend of mine said that he has not seen the rocks the last two times he has been. He stated that the river was at normal level both time ( I thought maybe they were just covered by high water). I have not been to this area in a couple of years and don't know the answer. Thanks.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I dont know about that cause I never make it up that way.

13. gowens

gowens New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The water has come way up and washed all the fish to Georgetown.

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Gary I wish it had washed them to georgetown cause I fished there all day long yesterday with only 1 bite. I think those blues have turned and started their move up river following the shad cause I did not even hardly even mark many fish on the sonar either. The river is dropping really fast and I hope that is its final hoorah. Maybe it will stay down so we can get back on those flatties again.

15. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    They must've passed us up here in Cheraw also-we fished 5 hrs Saturday-from Willamette intake to hwy #9 bridge.Caught 1 small flathead.Only bite we had all day.We may try under hwy 74 bridge in Rockingham this weekend.