fishing Pee Dee river at hwy 74 bridge

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by countryboy79, Oct 26, 2009.

1. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Me and a friend of mine,Chris went to blewett falls lake sat. nite. We fish from 10:30pm intill 1:00am did not catch a thing. I ask chris if he wanted to go to Pee Dee river at the hwy 74 bridge. He told me that i was the captain. So i caught some shad and took off to 74 bridge. By the time we got back to fishing it was around 3:00am at 3:30 bait clicker took off. First fish of the nite 12lb blue. Five min later bait clicker went off again second fish 12.5lb flat head. Then the next 30 min we caught a 22lb, 24lb and 23lb blue. At 5:30 i was loading the boat back up. I didn't have enough lite to take the pic so i took the fish to the boat ramp, it was only 300 yards away. We cpr the three 20lb fish, the other 2 was cp and nuggets. I don't give up !!!!!!

2. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    nice fish. thanks for the cpr! i need to try out the Pee Dee sometime.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    NICE haul, Wesley!!! I need to get back up that way! Thanks for posting!

Bill in SC

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Wesley very nice catch indeed congrats!

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a good night of fishing. I like the Don't quit attitude!

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    looks like a good night

7. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    THANK YALL FOR THE REPLIES !!!!!!!!!

8. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Congratulations!! I may have to meander my way out there. I've been wanting to try B.Falls for quite some time.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    the fish were biting everywhere Sat. night then. I had my best night ever on Badin on Sat. night. Good trip man!

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <
    [​IMG] I reckon.......
    the fish were biting everywhere Sat. night then.>

NOT... they were NOT biting on Blewitt Falls lake. :wink:

BB in SC

11. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    hey thats a fine catch there!!!! if ppl aint never fished the pee dee they dont know what there missing!!! i fish the pee dee below 74 bridge about three miles down the river but u bout have to wade much as u ride but its well worth it!!!! maybe see you down there sometime!!!!!!! we catch bunch o cats in the 30 and 40 lb range with an occasional 50 or 60!!! congrats man nice catch!!!!

12. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    u fishing down around that first shoal below the bridge? Ever shad fish in the spring?

13. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    No I went down to the big rock shoal but i didn't mark any fish on the FF. So i went back up toward the bridge close to the power line in 14 feet of water. I marked a lot of fish in 14'' . I havn't every tried to catch shad with a rod, only with a throw net.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can legally catch white shad in a cast net. Gizzards and threadfin shad are fine but American and hickory shad I don't believe you can keep if caught in a cast net.

15. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc

You are rite i only keep Gizzards, threadfin or a mullet.

16. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    You really need to give them a try on the rod and reel. Probably my fav fish to catch now days....although I have a vendetta against a wahoo currently.

17. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc

Hey let me know what time of the year and what to use... Thanks

18. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    quick thoughts for now but lets touch base late winter to sharpen hooks....

Mid March -Mid May.

Use small spoons, shad darts or crappie jigs on med light gear. There is LOTS of info on line about shad fishing.

If you really want to get a feel for it and have the ways and means a trip to the Roanoke in early April will let you get the real feel for it. The Roanoke run is mostly hickory shad which are typically 1-3 pounds but I've had many 100 fish days there. Lots of American shad (white shad) in the Pee Dee. They are typically 3-5 pounds and quite tasty...got to cook them at low heat for 5 hours or so to dissolve the bones. All most folks will eat from hickory shad are the eggs (roe)