"fishing Patterns for Flathead and channel catfish" from Mike Bleech; good or no?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jolie, Apr 22, 2009.

Does the article give good advice for catfishing here?

1. Yes, good advice (considering audience/length)

2. Good but incomplete; missing many good tips

3. Good but some stuff is off; or misses many good approaches

4. Sorry, that article doesn't cut it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Quite old, actually but Mike Bleech is a local angler who's been making a name for himself, writing about kinzua country fishing...

now he's one of the only people in my area that seems to enjoy and occasionally has written about catfishing in kinzua country. In fact, he has a map of his favorite catfish spots in the Kinzua dam tailwaters:crazy:

at any rate, the attached article is full of advice about where to find channels and flatheads in western PA and specifically in western PA rivers...

Now I'm wondering; Is the advice seem good to you or no? If you want perhaps you could rate it; I'd be interesting in seeing if you guys like it
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/1999/julaug99/fcatfish.htm

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I didn't read the article but by just looking at the pics, I can see that the bobber as the strike indicator is very elementary.:crazy:

The article also looks like it was written in the 80's.:smile2::wink:

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
  4. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    i disagree with some aspects alot..like finding the deepest parts of a pool or structure... ive cought Flats off the shore in 2 foot of water .. over all it was an ok artical but not indepth enough for me .. mabe im just into fishing a bit diferant or something .. but this seemed like a beginers guide to catfishing :confused2: .. and dont get me wrong their are still a ton of stuff for me to learn.. im not putting this artical down in any way , just my thoughts :wink:

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well I appreciate the assessment, shawn and Tan you've certainly earned respect from me. :cool2: For one, Not too many people are going to find it easy to outdue channel catfish of yours...no many how many articles they write.:wink:

three things I see here all the time NOT in the article; 1 fish current seams and river confluences 2 concentrate on outside bends 3lastly sometimes the must productive way to catch cats is to actively Look for them (drifting, wading, or just plain moving)

PLUS, he shot down shrimp and didn't mention liver:crazy::smile2::smile2:

But I'm still impressed to the core that he labelled his favorite catfishing spots on the kinqua dam tailwaters! :cool2:

6. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I read this a little while ago, if I remember correctly it's not that bad... nothing groundbreaking, pretty much basic stuff...

Certainly nothing like you can learn on here.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just from reading bout how they taste and the size fish he had photos of the man is not fishing for the giants of each species hes fishing for any size fish.he also seems to be targeting fishermen who are just trying to learn sumpin.this is good info for just catching fish and giving a quick rundown in just a little space.

8. That double chub rig caught my eye! Gotta try that!:wink:

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Any article that gets somebody new interested in catfishing can,t be all bad. I saw a lot of stuff in there to help get a beginner a place to start from. Like a lot of you , I saw a lot of glaring ommisions . For the general aduience he was trying to reach , he did allright. The one thing I could tell right off the bat,was that it was written by someone who fishes for catfish secondarily. If your main focus is the bottom dwellers,it shows your passion for em. Like I said in the beginning- anything that gets a kid or a newcomer to give catfishing a try is a plus for all of us. By sharing what each of us knows, We,re moving the sport ahead. The BOC is the best site I,ve found for people willing to SHARE .:eek:oooh:

10. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    couldnt agree more.. the thing that struck me in answering is.. was this a good artical to us or to the general population of fishermen-women.. thats why my responce was limited.. :wink: in my defence the question was a bit vauge :tounge_out: so yes it was a good artical .. helpful to BoC readers .. not so much .. but to get the intrest of people fishing to target Cats.. thumbs up!

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    general info for beginners but not alot of specifics. no mention of tackle used. decent for the targeted audience but many omissions that would have been useful to everyone regardless of experience.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've always enjoyed reading Mike Bleechs articles in the Pa Angler. He's not writing for a Catfish magazine specifically so the information is going out to a general audience and can sound generic to serious Cat anglers but in general there is good info in the article. I agree on Chubs being a top bait. Three Rivers Stadium even made an appearence in one of the pics! :eek:oooh: