Fishing partner needed tonight

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by DeerHunter01, Sep 10, 2005.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tom Lumpkins is looking for a fishing partner tonight on the cumberland river. If anyone wants to go with him post here and when he gets home in a couple of hours he will get in touch with you.

Thanks D.H.

2. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Well Boy's, I havn't had any luck getting a fishing partner for the night, So I guess I am going to stay at the house, Thanks DH, And If you all go I wish you luck.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I wish I would have seen this post earlier! I could have been there in about 15 hours. LOL! Ain't it sad when ya can't find someone to go fishin with? :cry-big: I'm with ya Tom. I never go out on the water alone.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Tom I would like to go. But just got in from the 2800 mile trip for the camper and spending some time up in the big (8000= ft) hills and camping in Co and norther NM..
    Pete

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I talked to DH last nite and he caught a great big flathead, I know you all are wondering just how big, He will have to tell you. I wished I would have been out there with him and Ryan, But two people in a boat is plenty.
    Big George, anytime you get ready to come down here to Gods country and do some fishing just Hollor, I finaly got rid of the son, he has his own place and soon I am going to put a bed in his old bedroom and make it a guest room, so we should have a place for you to sleep.
    Pete, I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your new camper, I know you all will have fun with it and I'm still loooking forward to fishing with you, The fishing should start getting real good here as the water gets cold.

6. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I did alittle hunting and found this, I'm waiting to see the picture's

7. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well Ryan and I got to run down and fish the Cumberland river last night, Bryan and Bob were out with us, we ran up to the Dam and got about 11 skip jacks between the four of us, after about two to three hours of that we got ready and headed down river.

Ryan and I was the first to leave the dam, and we started looking for some kind of good structure along the way. Just about 1 -2 miles down stream from the dam we came upon a nice set of trees submerged in the water with just a few sticking out on top, but it was pretty heavy with structure. The water temps were right around 77* last night and there was a good current coming from the Dam. the water depth at the trees were just about 15 Foot deep, so we set up stream from the Trees and casted right back ahead of them a little bit.

Ryan had the first run of the night about 2 minutes setting there, after set up his inside pole next to the bank took off, and as he reached for it the fish dropped it. ( LOL ) he calls them Reach for bites , "Just as you reach for the pole they quit bitting "
    Not another minute or two went by and his other pole took off, this time screaming it, he had time to get the pole out of the rod hold and reach down to lock the reel and he stopped (lol) Not sure what he calls that one yet ?

We were using Cut Skip-jack fresh, I was cutting chunks about 4 inches wide right across the skip jack.

And then my out side rod took off screaming, this is in all of 10- 15 minutes of set up. I was fully expecting this fish to do the same to me and drop it as I got the rod out of the holder he went faster, so I locked down on him and I was using one of the New 10/0 Kahle Hooks and man did it grab, and about jerked that pole out of my hand..(LOL) Anyway after about a 10 -12 Minute fight, I got the fish next to the boat and out of all the logs, And of course you know what there going to do when they see that boat, your ready for but your not, and down he went..(lol) anyway I got him up to the boat and new he was mine the hook was 6 inches down inside the mouth on the corner side of the mouth.

Ryan left the boga grip lay on the seat and just reach down and grabbed him by the mouth and brought him into the boat.

This fish after several weights came out at #38.14 Pounds, good enough for me. So we sat on this place for about another hour with three to four more good runs and the fish would drop them except one other and Ryan clean missed him and didn't feel the fish.

Fog was setting in pretty good at that time, so we yelled at Bryan on the radio who was down river from us about a mile, as we started to find a new location to fish, the fog set in big time. after about 30 minutes me and Bryan got with each other and then the fun began it took us 3 hours to get back to the ramp, so the fishing was over with for the night. after I turned around and headed the wrong way once and grounded the boat once going at 1 MPH..lol And Bryan trying to see if his Pontoon was a bull dozer for Trees growing out of the water we made it back safe and sound. With another trip planed soon..

It was a very good night for the bites at least.

Tom I invited you to go along with us and your welcome anytime, when you called me yesterday when I was in Clarksville.

Attached Files:

8. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Way to go DH, very nice fish.

Note: He almost matches your shirt...lol

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Nice job Eric, that's a good looking fish. I wish I lived closer to you guys, Tom I would have been glad to fish with you. Eric, I found another shop manual for the Suzuki in my barn. If you would like it P.M. me your new address...W

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Catbird & Metalman thank you. there is not a better feeling then having a flathead trying to shake his head..lol

11. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    :) Matt, Thats a fine looking flathead , I wished I could get me a big old flathead,
    Me and Big Brother are going to put together a trip this coming weekend, I am trying to talk him into fishing friday nite, and head to Dover and work our way back toward the steam plant hitting some of the old honey holes,
    :rolleyes:

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good Golly Miss Molly! That is one nice fathead I mean flathead! LOL! Dam nice fish there brother! I wish I could have shared the moment with ya.

13. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You missed it last night that word you hear me say (when things don't go right) , I said about 1000 times last night in the fog coming back to the ramp (lol) It was one night to remember.. I told Ryan last night coming home, man I am glad Big George was not with us he would of been crying at me the whole time..

14. Tee

Tee New Member

State:
    TN
    I guess Bryan's "fish dealer" has restocked........... :cool:

Great fish! How much did he cost??????????????
    Did he make you buy it, or does he still let you "rent" them?????

(exactly where doe the "fish man" anchor and what are his hours?)

Serioulsy, nice fish!

15. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    His is now renting the darn things for close to $200. 00 for a photo with them.. just not right brother, just not right.

16. miner

miner New Member

State:
    Sulligent, Alabama
    Nice looking fish DH, I know you were excited!

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    DH looks like fishing is getting better for you.. :D
    Pete

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    We had a blast Saturday. Even with all the fog we had a good time. Too bad that fog had to move in cause we just knew it was gonna be a great night for fishing. Fish were hitting, water temps were down and it was a nice night. I'm really glad DH got that flathead in the short time we were fishing. You should have heard his voice on the radio!! LOL Excited? Yep, I'd say so!! We were getting a few good runs as well, but the fog just moved in so fast it wasn't funny. I've been out on our river in fog many, many times so to me it was just a matter of watching what you're doing and staying at safe speeds, which we all did. Just a matter of keeping cool and being smart and it doesn't hurt to know the river pretty good either. LOL I attached a pic of that tree we almost ran over too. If you look in the distance you can see the old lock where the boat ramp is we were headed too. Probably took us another hour to make it that far. LOL Like I said, we had a blast even with the fog. I'm looking forward to doing this(without the fog) again.

Attached Files:

19. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If I'm not mistaken DH its two words. LOL! Actually it could be three if ya seperated the last word that actually sounds like two. LOL!

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Bryan watch out for our white truck and white camper with a camo boat to pull up in your yard..LOL
    Pete