Fishing or catching

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by DirtyHowi, May 26, 2006.

1. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    There are several small impoundments next county over where I can take my son fishing for the very first time, a couple of which i goto when i just can't stand to be skunked (altho that does happen as well on occasion).. I had really wanted to go to chesdin reservoir to check it out, but with a 6 year old taggin along for the first time i'm thinking a smaller more kid friendly playing field would be in order.

Opinions?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    To get a kid hooked on fishing catchin might be better for them than fishing.

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    First off welcome to the BOC. A boy of 6 usually dose not have that long of attention span so I think catching is more important. Also let him cast and when one is hooked let him real it in.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I am in the same boat, no pun intended. When I take my six year old boy out, I try to focus the fishing on him so that him so that he will enjoy his time out on the water. I first took him out when he was three, and between then and now, I have seen a huge change in how he is while we fish. While we may not catch fish everytime out, he enjoys going and the days of "can we go" are over for the most part.

I would stick to smaller waters, and when you want to catch the big 'ems go by yourself.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    These guys have it right. With small kids, catching is far more important which is another way of saying that they must have fun if they are to grow to like the sport. None of us do this to survive. We do it because it is fun and lowers our stress levels. If they are to enjoy it the rest of their lives, they have to feel that they are good at it now. Above all, be very patient with them, make a big fuss over every catch, laugh and have fun.
    Welcome Aboard!

6. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

I take my son to Harrison lake. Fish in a barrel so to speak. Little bluegills sometimes as fast as you can bait a hook. Normally we fish an hour or two then he looses focus and we mess around playing or looking at stuff for a while then go home. Best to make sure they will catch some fish especially the first time out.

7. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I was a kid I would get bored after an hour or two of fishing - unless they were biting really good. Then I would like to explore, swim, or hunt for critters/bugs/snakes.

~
    Brian

8. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    My two boys like a swim break every now and then. When they where 5-6 I stuck closer to home. I packed a picnic and made it about fun not fishing. I felt like a first mate most trips... constantly baiting hooks, untangling lines, re tieing lures and baits, I dont think I even fished half the time but it paid off and they love it now. If you fish salt water try some croaker fishing. Catch them on the right tide and it will be non stop action for the whole gang.