Fishing on the Red River Below Lock #2 update

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by gberan, Jul 26, 2006.

1. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Went out with the Misses and grandson Sat. to celebrate grandsons 15th birthday. Had a good day fishing. He caught the biggest of the day a 6lb channel, the Misses caught the second biggest , a 4Lb channel, and you guessed it , I caught just enough keepers to say I was in the boat with them. There was a very small current flow, we were using cut shad, and drifting with the current and wind. The fish were holding over 50ft of water behind a drop that went from 35ft to 50plus. We got a bite just about every time we drifted over that dropoff. The futher we got from the drop, the fewer bites we got. Had a great day on the river. Got in just before the rains started.

2. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    gberan,
    I also live in Deville. I live off of Phildelphia Church Road. Not really in Deville proper. :) A friend of mine and I are trying to find some good places to try some night fishing on the Red around this area. We went up to the lock at Colfax and didn't catch squat. DO you have some pointers for us? He has a new 18' Xpress boat, so we can handle the red in it. He and I are at a loss righ tnow on where to go. Neither one of us is from this area. Thanks for any help!

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC Chip. I am in the process of moveing up that way and will need to find some fishing spots also.

4. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the welcome Larry! I am in the process of redoing a old 14' jon boat right now to fish in. I need to get a spot welded. I have a nice trailer, but it has no numbers and I am having a heck of a time getting the SP to inspect it for me so I can register it. I am looking for a motor too, but people are proud of those suckers. :) Any info you fond out on holes, let me know.

5. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Chip I left you a post on your thread. Give me a call at 466-5931. I would be glad to show you my fishing spots. I fish Saline-Larto also for specks, bream, and bass. You can also drop me a e-mail at gberan@aol.com

6. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Met up with Chip yesterday evening and took him out on the Red below LOCK an DAM #2. It was hot and fishing was slow. We did manage to boat 5 fish. One 7lb 5oz, one 9lb 7oz, channels and three other eaters. fished from 5 til about 830. No current, fish were not stacked like they have been for the last few weeks. They were moving in schools as best as we could tell. Anyway I hope Chip learned something. He did manage to catch one eater.:big_smile:

7. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I had a blast. Gordon and his son are top notch folks. I am going to try to post a picture of the two Gordon and his son caught. They made some nice fillets!

Attached Files:

8. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, Evans (catfisherfromball) and I were all loaded up to go Saturday evening, but a storm blew up and put a end to that. I believe we are going to try to shoot for Friday evening and night. Anyone else catch any?

9. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Hey chip, bet you are glad the storm came before you were out on the water.:sad2: I was in Shreveport and it came through there too. I have a fishing trip planed for Friday, my sister-in-law in comming into town and wants to try it. I will let you know how they are biting. If you get out Thurs. let me know how the bite is.:cool2:

10. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    went out on the Red this morning, had my sister-in-law and son with me. Had to wait on the lock, there was a tug with three barges comming in from the other side, too about thirty or so minutes for it to get in and tied off. We launched at 6:20 and got thru the locks at 7:15. got below the damn and found a little current, and fish stacked behind a drop off in thrity foot water. they were stacked over 45 foot of water. After about three drift bys, I hooked one that broke my leader. That was all that I hooked. My sister-in-law caught a nice 3.5lbder. and My son caught 2lb. that is all we got, we called it quits at 12:00 noon. the major was not until 2:40 but we could not stay out because my son had to go to work.

11. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We (me and Evans) will be trying it this evening. I hoping the full moon gets them to feed a little this evening. Evans had a hard time catching shad at the spillway. He caught some carp we will cut up and some other stuff. We are going to try a few noodles tonight too. I will let you know what happens.

12. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Evans and I went out Friday night on the Red below Lock #2. We fished r&r and jugs. Didn't catch anything on the r&r but caught about 11 on the jugs and missed probably 5 more. We caught one that was pushing 11#'s that we put back. We kept a 7#er and nine others ranging from 1# to around 3#. We were using shad and chicken livers for bait. The fish really turned on about 2am. We were fishing in 50'-70' of water right about even with the little point that goes back in an oxbox right past the dam. Jugs were rigged for 10'. We had one fish pull the jug completely under and disappear with it for about 2 minutes until it resurfaced. When I grabbed the line I was nearly yanked out of the boat before the fish bent the snap swivel completely straight and got off. Evans and I will be making our gear more rugged after that. The 11# fish could only bring the jug under for about 3 seconds and only about 5" under. This sucker took it for 2 minutes and pulled it out of sight. Big fish. We had a ball and have lots of catfish in the freezer now. Full moon made it easy to see.

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Chip sounds like yall had a fun time on the water. I had a fish take ajugg under 2 weeks ago, I aint seen it yet. I would like to just see that fish.

14. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We are going to have to make our gear tougher to prevent it from happening again. I wish I could have seen that fish. Must have been pretty big to almost yank me in the water. I am not a small guy (250lbs).

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds like you had a good trip. Sorry about losing that big one, but that's what keeps you going back...always hopin'.....

16. Taslagi

Taslagi New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Gordon and Chip. Nice to see someone in the area. I hope to see you out on the water sometime soon and get together with you.

17. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    William,
    Where do you live in LA?

18. Taslagi

Taslagi New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I live in Mansura just out of Marksville. If you would like to get together send me a PM or call me 337-692-1109
    Will be glad to get together with you.

19. old poot

old poot New Member

State:
    La.
    Chip i see where you are having a few problems with jugs. try this use #36 twine for your jugs,put a trotline clip on the noodle end ,put 3 #1 swivels on 12' of line ,slide 1 swivel 2 foot from noodle and tie a knot on each side of swivel ,do the same with other swivels 2' from bottom and one in middle. make a 2' stagen out of #36 twine and push it thru swivel tie knot put a 6/0 offset hook on other end and fasten same way,use 1' stagens on other 2 swivels. hasent failed me yet.large line doesnt tangle as easy . I also fish mine with a heavy weight,but it seems that everyone else doesnt.hope this helps.:l:big_smile_2:

20. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    hey guys, been away from the puter working odd jobs. Chip you been back trying to catch that big one that got away? Hope this cooler weather perks up them fish.