Fishing on the Potomac last Weekend

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Spongiform, May 25, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Girlfriend and I went fishing on the Potomac this weekend again. Camped out on the island and had a great time.

Some guys in a canoe came by while we were taking a nap. I hadn't done it intentionally but the way we set up camp made it very hard to see from the water - tent blended in with the scenary and all the short bank foliage hid most of our gear from sight. They had tipped and dropped 2 guys out into the water and it was a bit chilly - prob 65 degrees and very very windy. I came out of the tent to see who the heck was there and I think I scared the crap out of the poor guys! They were sure glad to have a hot fire to warm up at for a bit and shared a few beers with me!

The fishing wasn't as good as my other spots - but the camping was alot easier since it was more open and no stingweed - rest of the island is covered in the stuff.

We pulled in 3 channel cat, 1 little mudcat (flathead?) about 6 inches long. The girlfriend pulled in a Eel over 2 feet long and a couple inches thick - twice the size of the one I caught last time. Too bad the line snapped before I could get a picture and it got away.

We had 3 bites so hard they snapped the line instantly - before we even could try to set the hook or anything - I even set the drag down real low and it didn't help any. I'm vowing to have better line by this weekend!

Anyway, here's the pics of what we did catch and me swimming-tugboat style back across coming home! :D

Channel #1
    Channel #2
    Channel #3
    Channel #3 again
    Swimmin'

Anyone care to guess about how big those 3 are? I didnt measure or weigh and I have no clue.

Next weekend I should have even better pics - after I get some stronger line and don't let the big daddies get away!

~
    Brian

2. Galaxy

Galaxy New Member

State:
    Virginia

3. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I found a Penn 209 buried in the garage - looks like it's ready to rock even though it's ancient. Time for some revenge on my broken lines!

~
    Brian

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have a 209, and love it.. don't know how it is pulling in a fish, since I have not caught anything on it yet...

Y'all have you own little piece of paradise..