Fishing on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by melstangman1967, Mar 26, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    fish on the mississippi on the bank and by boat anyone have input on the best baits for and hte best areas to fish?

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Go with fresh cut bait and you can't go wrong anytime, as for where there are fish anywhere on the river your willing to look. Now back to bait, you can start with what your holding in your pick that looks to be about the right size for bait. :big_smile:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Naaaaa, no self respecting catfish is gonna eat an itty bitty green scaly thing like that. Yuuuuck!
    LOL
    Sorry about that, couldn't resist.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, Mel, fresh cut shad is hard to beat. Even fresh cut asian carp are getting better as the catfish learn to eat it more, When those bighead carp first came on the scene, the catfish refused to eat them. Now, with less shad around, they have adapted and started eating the bigheads.

As for where? A lot of that would depend on where in MO you are.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I like to recommend using big head carp. If you dont catch any kittens at least there will be one less big head in the river

6. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fish behind the wing-dykes near the scour holes, reverse current areas and straight-line current. A good fish finder is critical in locating fish and struture. I use frozen and fresh skipjack for bait. I cut my skips into different size baits and change things up until I see a pattern!:wink: