Fishing on the Elkorn

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by decker, May 26, 2006.

1. decker

decker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anybody have any suggestion on what i should use for bait on the Elkorn this sunday?

2. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I've never fished the Elkhorn, but TA2D is having some success with Creek Chubs near the confluence of the Little Nemaha and the Missouri. Good luck

SudDawg

3. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    It's been years since I fished on the Elkhorn. We used to always go under the old West Dodge Rd. bridge. Back then nightcrawlers were always the bait of choice for us.

4. decker

decker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yeah I think I will use blugills and cut bait I use to catch alot of flatheads out of there but that was along time ago. Im here on vacation and seeing family so I thought I would try the elkorn by Arlington tommorw night. Well i will let all of you know what i catch.

5. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the dodge street bridge would be ideal right now, the last storm knocked over a gigantic tree and their is a hell of a snag in it looks to be the main channel.

6. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I've fished in the Elkhorn under the bridge on Hwy 92. About where does the river cross Dodge? (street #?)

7. decker

decker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yeah fishing wasnt that good!! we caught a small flathead and a couple channel but nothing with any size. They just wernt biting that good. we used almost everything we could think of from live bait to liver to stink bail. Maybe my luck will be better next time.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

At least you didn't get completely skunked. Better luck next time.

Suddawg

9. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    catfishsteve, my bad i meant the highway 92 bridge.

10. kyhawk

kyhawk New Member

State:
    Kearney, Nebras
    went fishn yesterday and today (6-4,6-5)...caught 1, 6lb flathead and 1 6lb channel and a 5 1/2lb channel on live blueguill, yesterday, went out for 2 hrs...went out for an hour tonite, and caught a 7lb flathead on live blueguill....thought i'd fill u in on how i did on the elkhorn....

11. decker

decker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I went out to Pawnee Lake last thursday nignt and cought some small walleye and some crappie. Didnt catch any catfish I will be moving back to Lincoln for good in july so i hope to do some serious catfishing when i get back. I plan to buy a boat and fish some catfish tourments.

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

You've got a great plan there Decker. I haven't been up to Pawnee or Branched Oak since early 99, so when I get back I hope to head up there. Mainly Branched Oak for some of those flatheads.

SudDawg

13. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I got skunked on the Elkhorn on Sunday night. I did get a 15 lb. Channel last Saturday morning. I'm heading to Branched Oak on the 16th to try for one of those flatties!

14. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Has anyone been getting into the flatheads lately?

15. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    i fished on the elkhorn on jul 29th, about sundown. half an hour after the sun went down, the cats were reaking havoc on our lines. using bluegill, about 3 to 4 inch long. its to hot during the day, so they arent even coming out of there holes at all i would have to say, once it cools down a bit, thats when to be out there. jake

16. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i was on the platte today and i'll tell you i had one hell of a time. was not expecting much luck but ended up with a jackpot of cats. all i used for bait was some wicked sticky stinkbait in some of the deeper holes i found. my first two cats were about eight inches long, no big deal. but then i loaded some more stinkbait on and not 20 seconds later had a four pound flathead on the end of my line. i was only out for about two hours and in that time i caught 26 channels between 3'' to 16'', and one descent flatty.

all were released. will be back out tomorrow.

17. Seems to me if you want to fish any spot of water your sure to never go wrong with either nightcrawlers, minnows, chubs, or even corn. Certainly never go wrong with a nice big juicy nightcrawler.

18. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Wow, a flathead off of stinkbait. That's quite a day. Thanks

SudDawg

19. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i couldn't believe it either, it was about two foot off the bank underneath a little log in the water.

20. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    incase anybody wants to know, i know that around dodge and snyder area of nebraska, they got about 1/2 inch of rain two nights in a row. that should make the elkhorn go up a bit down around arlington to omaha. we have been nailing them on whole bluegill up by snyder in some holes we found, now that it should be a little deeper, hopefully will work alot better.