Fishing on Arkansas River

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by bolivar 0637, Dec 14, 2006.

1. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    I went fishing today (12/14/06) below Lock and Dam 13, and yesterday at Clear Creek landing and didn't catch anything. We tried minnows, DKs punch bait, and worms and the results was the same. I am wondering if this is a bad time for other fishermen or am I just a poor fisherman?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Lewis, welcome to the Brotherhood. It's good to have another Arkie around. I think the problem you had with the fish today is the weather. When we have a day this nice in December the fish just can't believe it.:roll_eyes: Give 'em another try tomorrow and tell us how you did.

st

3. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    its been a slow year so far . alot of smaller fish. the commercial fisherman have had all my good spots covered with nets for a few weeks now i think they have weeded the big boys out....i've had to stay back in the creeks and sloughs. been catching my limits with 3 -10 pounders. went to clear creek yesterday morning had a limit by 11 oclock biggest was 6 #

4. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    I was wondering about the effects of the netters. What type of bait are you guys using on the rivers and creeks? I plan to move up Clear Creek tomorrow and see if anything is biting.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Lewis welcome to the BOC Hope you have better luck tomorrow:big_smile:

6. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Lewis, i use whole & cut shad

7. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    Thanks Brian, I don't have a net yet but I'm going to get one.

8. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    Ed, sure was glad to see a BOC member with a fine last name like yours.

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Good luck finding the shad, we searched several hours today and all we could come up with was those around 2" and they was in 24' water. Watched the birds and followed thier lead but still no shad. Went to Dardenell for Skipjack today, and there wasnt any in there at all, and no shad in there either. Usually it is packed. Not todayl. Went to Ozark dam, no water running so didnt even try. If your fishing around clear creek, There is a pipe that stick out of the bank on the left as you head to the arkansas river, I have always found shad there when there is something coming out of the pipe. Small ones usually. Mac

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Went to the river yesterday down by Scranton....the duck hunters were everywhere:confused2: it sounded like an war zone:roll_eyes: However the fishing was great....1st fish caught went 15lbs:tounge_out: then a couple of 9-10lbers then several 5-7's...started at 8am quit at noon.......fished with shad :smile2: skips:wink: and punchbait:cool2: All big fish were caught on punch......................

11. Shep

Shep New Member

State:
    Lamar Arkansas
    Sam where did you put in at

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well me and johnny{777} went tuesday the 19th..after a long ordeal over at kerr lake....His pontoon petered out:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: so we dropped it off at the shop and headed for scranton in my boat...we bagged 34 cats total...mostly blues probably 3-4 channels in there......johnny was getting very creative with his bait:roll_eyes: we used shad:big_smile: skips:tounge_out: and punch bait:tounge_out: we fished from 2-10 ft of water that day...johnny did loose a couple of nice ones on some brush:angry: Shep there is ramps all in the area spadra park at clarksville would be the easyiest for you to find

13. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I noticed Yesterday, that the Dam at barling was running a little water, not much but enough to produce some current! :0a26: Mac

14. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    We tried catching some Shad below safety wire of the Generator at Lock 13 here a few days ago and didn't have any luck. We ended up having to drive back into Van Buren and getting some frozen reserves. They seem to work just as well. If you have room to freeze them, I recommend when the bait fishing is good, catch lots of extras and freeze for days like that.