Fishing Ohio River Sept. 29

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Sep 29, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Have all of the fish left the Ohio River??? Went out Yesterday evening from 5:00 pm until midnight...nothing except one really good hit at the LG&E Power Plant which broke my leader. Had the drag set to loose and could never get in control of the hit. :sad2: My boyfriend had the same response, NOTHING. Shad were everywhere. Are the fish too full of shad and not hitting?? Is it the moon?? Or bad Karma??? Any ideas would be welcomed.

Lil' Sis
    Linda

BE SAFE

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Linda, I have been having a bit of luck fishing on the Ohio. As a matter of fact the blue catfish bite seems to have picked up since the cooler weather has moved in. Yes the baitfish, mainly shad, are thick everywhere in the river now, but that is when you should seize the oppurtunity to catch some fish. For two reasons. One the bait is readily available, unlike certain times when it can be hard to find. And two the fish tend to be where the baitfish are stacked up a bit better. Right now you have noticed that the shad seem to be on or near the surface. Well, that means the fish are near the surface. Since I am strictly a bottom style fisherman, that only gives me one scenario. In order to fish the bottom and still be near the surface I have to fish the shallower water. Things to look for when finding a spot is to look for pods of bait or bait flipping on the surface. Also gar tend to congregate in areas with higher concentrations of baitfish, so look for gar chopping on the surface. I know that the gar can be a real pain sometimes, but after you setup on a school of gar, they will tend to move out and the catfish are sure to follow to pick up the pieces. Also look for the bigger blues to be feeding along gravelly type bottoms right now. Shallower outside bends are a good place to start. I have also had a bit of luck fishing shallow flats with a sandy bottom. I have caught many fish of all three of the bigger species lately fishing in water less than 25 feet deep, and most times less than 15 feet deep. I hope this helps. Vern

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Linda I am sorry to cut in on your ??? with this but I must compliment Vern. Vern your info is always top notch :wink:!!!! I cannot tell you how many times I have enjoyed your answers and commentary on this board. It is always detailed and very well written. Your type of answers and commentary are one of the main reasons people love this board so much. Keep up the good work !!!!!!!:0a31:

4. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I second that tamjohn. when i get my boat running right, i am going to put vern's advice to good use. thanks vern and linda for keeping us posted on the ohio in west point. i live in E-town and fished the mouth of salt with a friend that grew up in west point.

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Great info. Vern! Congrats on winning the Madison tourney....AGAIN! We fished on the river last night around Westport, from 6:00 to around midnight. We caught 6 fish, nothing over 10 lb, 3 small Blues, 1 Flathead, 1 Channel cat, and a Gar. The fish came at the second place where we set up in 20' of water in an outside bend. All the fish came on Skipjack, except the Flatty, he bit on split Shad.

6. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Vern:
    Thank you so much for your response. I will be using your advice I hope on Thursday and will let you know how I do. I am here to learn the fish, layout of the river and how to put all of these factors together.
    THANK YOU

Linda

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Linda, there is no thanks necessary. I'm happy to help out any BOC member. Vern

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Linda the last few times i have been to the ohio to fish sat the for hours trying different spots and everything. Haven't caught 1 fish this year out of the ohio. I guess it's gonna be the GMR for me this year.

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    well ive caught some fish out of the ohio ... one big 30 lber carp ... lol .. monster of a fish. but only small cats ... some biguns on but couldnt land them. unfortunetly

10. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have caught a few small cats on the ohio this past week accross from the hydros on the indiana side of the river on the Falls of the Ohio park and down to the New Albany boat ramp but nothing to to really talk about and i would also like to thank Vern as well I have used your info quite abit and have alot of luck Linda we went to the salt river on the dixie beach side of the river and had a few good runs but couldnt hook anything last night but the fish are starting to bite a little better

11. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anyone coming out on the ohio this weekend I heard there is a chance of rain here in louisville but that hasnt stopped me yet :big_smile:

12. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    the ohio has been hit and miss for me early spring was great but then the drought came. right now i cant fish because of a surgery but my friends have been doing really well these last few weeks on pork chops soaked in garlic, dont ask never tried it myself but they get them out of the mark down bin at krogers soak them overnight in garlic then cut them into strips and fish them on the bottem and been doing really good. well good luck hope the fishing picks up for you.

13. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Now i have heard it all I thought the ivory soap was a weird thing but poekchops and garlic what ever works i guess

14. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Thomas
    WElcome to the best website on the entire web!! Off work tomorrow (Thursday), look out kitties, here I come:smile2:

15. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Linda thank you ill be on the water friday and saturday hopefully this cold front coming in will change it all for us :cool2:

16. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I doubt it'll rain... Hello all, first post. I've been reading up all week & dig the forum. Seems like good people & good info.

Anyhow, I'll be at the hydro dam or westpoint. Might do both, I'm off Monday. It's gonna be too hot but I don't care. Even if I'm not catching fish I enjoy being on the water.

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Man thats some EXPENSIVE bait.:crazy:

That does sound good though, for the BBQ grill at least. I think I'd be grilling 'em instead.:roll_eyes:

18. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome aboard Mike I'm going fishing monday drop me a PM I can put you on some blues.

19. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mike let us know about the hydros they have been running them pretty good this past few days we fished off the island side of the ""bear traps"" you know the gates there and waded out a lil caught a few channels but nothing real big caught alot of mooneyes and skipjacks though

20. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree with darryl i think i would rather send the pork chops to the bbq. but whatever it takes i guess