Fishing Ohio River Owensboro, Kentucky

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by DeerHunter01, Jul 1, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I went fishing with KyFarmer last night on the Ohio River in Owensboro, got to meet Marty and had a good time.

We hit the river at 6:45PM and went and got several shad and then headed out in his local waters looking for a good location to set up and fish, after a 30 Minutes search we located several catfish stacked up in a bunch of trees that were out in the water about 40 yards off the bank. We set up above the trees and dropped our lines back onto the beginning of the current breaks. Before Marty could send out his second pole my pole started dancing around with shad as bait.

After 20 minutes of the pole dancing around I picked up the rod and I could not feel the fish hitting, I told Marty this fish has to be so small he can't load my rod up, So I felt I should bring it in and check it, as I started reeling in I felt a stick on the line dragging in the water, with the current as strong as it was this could of been my problem with the stick on it making it dance like that, as it hit the top of the water I could see a fish on the line , (he never fought at all) as it got to the side of the boat here low and behold this fish was not even hooked, I was using a 10/0 Kahle hook and it had wrapped around the neck of the fish and hooked the end of the line making a noose around the fishes neck and the hook was never in the fish, Here it was a small Flathead about 1 pound or less (attached photo below)

After releasing my big catch back into the waters to fight another day, I re-baited and set my shad back out on the current break. after a while of having several small hits and re-baiting twice more, we were sitting there talking when my rod slammed all the way down and with a full load on it I had a decent fish on. as the fish came up to the side of the boat Marty grabbed my Boga grips and hooked the catfish mouth, a 18.3 Pound bluecat ( Photos attached )

We had several hits until 10PM then the fish shut down, at 12 midnight we felt we better head in cause the fish seemed to give up even on just messing with our baits. But we had a great time fishing and I enjoyed the meeting of another BOC Brother.

I am sure Marty (KyFarmer) will be out there catching some hogs.

D/H

Attached Files:

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We also had a Mayfly hatch last night lift off the water we had mayflys all over us for about a hour, We thought we were in a bug movie of the attack of the killer Mayflys.

after a hour the top of the water was covered with dead mayflys. these pictures just don't do this justice, there were hundred of thousands of them every where. :)ooooh: :lol: )

Attached Files:

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like you had a good time. Good going.

4. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    looks like you fellas had a good night fishing

5. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i think that flat head was taken his son for a ride. that is quite the picture.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds like you all had a good time DH.
    So what you are saying is the bugs were thick, LOL!!!

7. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I learned alot fishing with DH last night, he even taught me how to set a snare rig for flatheads LOL! I had a great time, and if I can count the shad, I caught more fish than he did LOL. He is a catfishing master and I was honored to fish with him, we will defenitly have to do it again. Thanks again DH!

Marty

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    How much did DH pay you to say that marty, LOL!!!

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Looks like you guys had a good time. DH I hope you can show me how to tie that snare rig up, sure could use something like that lately.lol

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    jason454ci

I could tell you but it might take a couple of weeks to explain this one too you..lmao Hey a new way not to harm fish I bet Peta would be happy..LMAO

11. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I lassoed a small blue cat once on a 3-way rig. It didn't fight much either.

12. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nothing makes PETA happy except Killing Innocent Vegatables.