Fishing Ohio lakes - little advice?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dandaman, Apr 13, 2006.

1. dandaman

dandaman New Member

State:
    columbus, ohio
    How deep should I be fishing right now in a lake like, say for instance Hoover? Is it too early to drift?

2. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont know about the lake u are fishing but I have been drifting 6-10 foot flats and catching some fish the biggest I have caught this week though is 10 pounds 3 oz. I have a had to keep it slower than I usually drift though and have also only caught fish on smaller bait than I normally use. Also bigones and I stoped last sunday on the ohio river in a creek caught one fish about 5 pounds missed 2 more in about 1/2 hour to 45 mins. We were fishing less than 2 feet of water. We stopped to fish it on the way back from Kentucky Lake. Good Luck.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Dan I don't fish Hoover but every year most channels are caught at the north end of the lake in the spring. Right in the area where the creek comes in. I've read reports in the Dispatch, The Ohio Game & Fish magazine, and there is a guy on the DNR site with a link I think. He gives info on hoover and holds catfishing seminars on hoover during the boat shows each spring. He always says the north end, shallow water 3 to 5 ft, worms,cut bait, or stink baits. He also says he fishes these baits on or near bottom under floats. Hope this helps.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I fish Hoover and it's not to early to drift. Just have to put out a big drift sock and drift real slow and drift faster as the water warms. We need to try to hook up this year. We keep missing each other. Get with matherson too.

5. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Most of your channel cats are in the shallows in March and early April.... I've fished with a guy who fishes lakes in central Ohio and we fished in waters 2 feet or even less ...... Not to say you can't get some drifting now, but the shallows are still a good bet...... THE CATKING !!! :)