Fishing near Newport News

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by F1shermun, Jun 13, 2008.

1. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    Does any one know of a good spot to fish for catfish near Newport news? I have been driving to Chickahominy river park and the fuel bill is killing me.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have heard there is good channel cat fishing in Back Bay/Pungo which I heard is in the VAB area. Beyond that, I don't know any details. Try searching Back Bay or Pungo on this site and there should be an old fishing report from I think Flathead Willie who fished there.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your in a boat, try fishing around the dead fleet, anchored off Fort Eustis in the James River. If bank fishing, and you can get on Ft. Eustis, try fishing as close to the dead fleet as you can get. Caught some real good ones there years ago. Then we used to bank fish the James up near Jamestown. Just anywhere we could get to the water. If you are in the military, you can rent a boat/motor from the Morale, Recreation and Welfare group which serves the base. BUT, as much as I like catfishing, I'd darn sure be in the Chesapeake chasing flounder.

4. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Try fishing the Newport News park a friend of mine has caught a couple of cats there I forgot to ask what kind though

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    almost forgot a spot,,,,,, if you cab get on fort Eustis there are plenty of spots just ask the gate guards they will be more than happy to direct you to the River.