Fishing near myrtle beach - South Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flaboy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    how many fisher-men-ladies-persons are there near myrtle beach?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Flaboy, I'm not too far away (Andrews), but I don't get over that way much, too crowded for me. lol I go to Bass Pro now and them, but haven't fished over there. There should be some good catfishing in the Waccamaw, though.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Blackwaterkatz, I have seen plenty of catfishing in the waccamaw but I haven't seen much catchin! :eek:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Lionel, what area do you live in? There is a lot of boat traffic in the waccamaw/ICW, maybe it would be better to look for areas above Conway, or maybe below there on the Pee Dee river. Some of the tackle shops around Conway might be a good place to start. Wish I could be more helpful, but I just don't fish up that way.
    I have friends that fish the Waccamaw further down around Pawleys Island/Georgetown and they catch quite a lot of fish. Do you use a boat, or bank fish?

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    blackwaterkatz, I bank fish most of the time, I'm sellin (tryin to) my boat and tryin to simplify. mostly fish tween conway amd myrtle beach, live abt 2 mi from peachtree landing or same from high 544 bridge over intercoastal

6. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Lionel I think me and you are the only ones from this area.

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Steve,glad to hear from ya again. Fred dissappeared! I've spread BOC cards around and I have gotten good reports back but no logons!
    I guess I need to change my aftershave? LOL

8. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    I thought about printing some of those fliers and taking them down to the landing around 1 or 2 in the morning and putting them on trucks. But I just havnt got to it. Do you know if the flyers are here on the new sight?

9. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I don't know abt flyers, Fred got some cards from siscat(I Think) and I have been gradually givin them out. flyers sound like a good idea! maby the mods will step in and advise us as to proceedure?
    oh, do you still have my number? if not I'll pm it to you. maby we can get together sometime.

10. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Lionel I got your number but I havent had any time to do any fishing. Have you been doing any nigh time bank fishing?

11. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    sfisher, I posted a response to your question about short stay, in the Lake moultrie forum. Anyway, i will be in myrtle beach in early november for about a week. I was curious as to where if anywhere, i can get a line wet from the bank(cattin). Georgetown or surrounding area info would be appreciated also.

12. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    steve, I have been doin some but not regular. I been actin up and she ain't sure she wants to put up with me so! its been hectic.
    (sure wish I was guilty of whatever, I wouldn't have time for nasty ol fishin! ) LOL
    You know how it goes, if you are a man you are always wrong!

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I probably shouldnt give this away but I'm going to anyway the intracoastal waterway is loaded with blues and flatheads from little river all the way to were the waccamaw comes in to it and probably farther down than that but I've never fished below that point.I have personally caught fish in the 40 lb range and hung some a lot bigger.

14. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Phatkat There is a old bridge in Georgetown on hwy 17 that you can get on and fish. There isnt much bank around here due to the swamps, and rice fields. They just built a new fishing pier in Murrells Inlet, that is in the inlet not the ocean. The Spots should be here around that time if you are interested in a bucket full of them.

15. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    steve, I just got a call the spots are startin to run.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Chris the ICW? NO WAy!!!! That is very good news given how much time I spend in Myrtle Beach.I'm going to have to give that a try in Nov.I would have never thought they would be in there.

17. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Jim try the stretch behind Barefoot Landing the bridge right there has a couple of holes under it about 18 to 20 foot deep. I think its the hwy 21 bridge its so new they dont even show on most maps.Then around the swing bridge in little river sometimes you can catch flounder redfish, and blues in the same spot but its a little to brakish there for flatheads.The only problem with that spot is that its so narrow you just about have to wait till dark to fish when the boat traffic isnt so heavy.The average depth is about 12 foot so any spot you can find 14 to15 feet or deeper will have fish.Just remember when you anchor to allow plenty of room for passing barges and yaghts.As far as bait goes any kind of live fish mullet, pinfish, menhaden, bream whatever cut bait works but the crabs will get to much so live bait is usually the best way to go.The blues on the ICW is hands down the strongest blues I have ever hung into the good thing about that section of the ICW is that only a handful of people fish for them.

18. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Thanks for the info, Chris and Sfisher.. Unfortunately though, im not gonna make it up that way this year. Decided to go to disney last week on a whim...now i gotta budget real tight. At least i got a chance to see shamu. I spent the whole way home imaginin what it would be like to hang into a fish that big and wondering where they find those HUGE herring they feed the whales!...Anyway, thanks for the info, and i know what u mean about sacrificing sacred info...Been there, done that...for some reason, I guess its more important for me to help someone enjoy a trip out than it is for me to hold on to certain secrets. But it sure does hurt to see tons of people abusing the info. Thank God, He sees fit for me to still get out there and enjoy myself inspite of...

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Chris,I would never have guessed they would be in there with the ocean fish.That is really cool.Thanks again I'll try not to impose on your spots.

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They more than likely come from the pee dee and the waccamaw but your not gonna impose theres plenty of fish to go around and I dont get to fish there as much since my mother moved from there.