fishing near graham

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by thecatman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    anyone here fish near graham or jacksboro

2. Ol Tex

Ol Tex New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi, Brandon. I moved to Mineral Wells just over a year ago and I'm checkin' out the fishin' holes in the area. Neighbor has been havin' great luck on Graford Lake and the Brazos below PK dam. Other friends have been doin' good at Mineral Wells State Park...20 to 50 lb. yellows....4 of 'em. I'm just gettin' over surgery, but I'm goin' out in a few days to try my luck. Been cleanin' and oilin' my equipment while I'm laid up.
    John

3. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, Luke Clayton here. You sure live in some great country! The Mineral Wells Index newspaper picked up my outdoor column, began running it this past Sunday. I fish the Brazos adjacent the Holt River Ranch, not far from Graford (about 3 miles west).. and bowhunt the area as well. I did several newspaper articles on your stretch of river,, you can read them here on the BOC at OUTDOORS WITH LUKE CLAYTON... We caught some nice channel cats on jug lines and rod and reel fishing.. the deeper holes about 10 miles below Hwy 4 is the area we fished... Make sure and don't get up on the bank in this area. Just about all the property is posted but...it's OK to fish and camp along the streambed (the dead vegetation line is a good indicator of the safe area to camp)... Always keep an eye for rising water. When they cut it loose at the PK dam, the river can easily rise 4 feet overnight.. Good fishing to you. and get well soon, Luke

4. Ol Tex

Ol Tex New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks, Luke! I'm 'bout healed up and haired over. Two or three more weeks oughta do it. I'll be watchin' for your column.
    John

5. wggn

wggn New Member

State:
    TX
    -Hey catman - I live on Possum Kingdom. I fish the lake quite a bit, but I really like to fish the Brazos River several miles below the dam.

I just retired two weeks ago, so now maybe I can fish more.
    Wayne

6. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I fish Lake Graham, Possum Kingdom, Hubbard Creek , and the Clearfork all the time. Haven't had much luck lately. At lake Graham and PK all I've caugth recently is a bunch of 5 to 10 inch channels and blues.

7. JLB

JLB New Member

State:
    TX
    Hey Luke,
    I was just wondering if you could give some clarification on where it is and is not legal to camp. My dad used to tell me the riverbottom was public land and could not be posted. I don't know exactly what his definition of riverbottom was but I took it to mean the floodplain basically.
    Buddy Rochelle told me that the law has been changed since then and basically that if its posted stay off, if not you should be ok to camp in the bottoms. He also told me there is less private land upstream from 4 as opposed to going down. I recently canoed down from Rochelles to the 10 mile take out at Moffit Bend and saw all the signs. It was the first time I had been down there in many years and I was a bit suprised to be honest.
    I don't want to have any confrontations with landowners and I am going to be in that area in the next few weeks.

8. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I think you would need to check with the BRA ( Brazos River Authority) concerning the area you are going to be in. I know that on the Clear Fork of the Brazos if you are not directly in the road right of way (under a bridge) or in the water than you are on private property, but I think it has something to do with the width of the river and whether or not it is considered a navigable water way. Either way I would definatly check with the BRA to be sure