Fishing near Derby indiana?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyCatGuy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    A good friend of mine has loaned me their campsite and trailer for the weekend after Thanksgiving. It is located on Oil Creek near the Ohio River and Derby Indiana. I have never fished this part of the Ohio and was wondering if anyone has any tips for fishing this stretch of river? Dont want any honey holes or GPS coordinates, just wandering what I might look for? Looks like there are a ton of turns on this stretch of the river...is that where I should concentrate my efforts? Any tips on bait in the area? Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Scott,
    You can catch bluegills in the creek and if we get any rain there may be some shad in the mouth of the creek and in the lagoon off the creek just upstream from the bridge if they have cleared the tree that was down across the entrance.
    It's not far by road to Cannelton so I always have a few hours down there for skipjack.
    I have caught good fish all along that Derby stretch, both drifting and at anchor. The first bend down from Derby above Stephensport has always produced.
    If you have a fast boat, the whole stretch from the big bend at Leavensworth all the way down to Cloverport is good but that is an awful lot of water to cover in a weekend.

If I were just going for the weekend I would be sure to take bait with me to maximize fishing time and drift that whole stretch from Derby to S'port and only anchor up if you find a bunch of fish

Be careful coming out of Oil creek, keep to the Indiana shore for about 50 yards to avoid the shallow in the riverward side..W

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I'm ready for some fishing if you can manage to set a date before bad weather sets in!:cool2:

4. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Thank you Winston! Do you think there will still be bait in the creek at the end of this month?

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If we get some rain maybe.
    Have always managed to get shad in th lagoon I mentioned but there was a tree down across the entrance. As there is a launch ramp in there they may have cleared it.
    Be safe and take some with you...W