Fishing Monticello with ChrisBlue

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tatersalad, Jul 30, 2006.

1. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Chris Blue was good enough to take me and Boog fishing on Lake Monticello yesterday. He had told me he really enjoyed putting folks on big fish, and as a fisherman with a personal best of 7 lbs (both me and Boog), that sounded great!

We met at the public access up near the Rec Lake, got the boat in the water and rode to our first location. after getting the anchors out and rods in the water, we started to get to know one another. Chris, like everyone else I have met here on the BOC is a great guy. Easy to talk to, and willing to share knowledge with others. Also, he is just a great guy to spend a day on the lake with!

We had been set up for about 10 minutes when the first rod went down. Boog reeled in a very nice 8-9 lb blue! New personal best for Boog!. About 5-10 minutes later, 2nd rod goes down. I reel in a 13+ lb blue, new personal best for me!!! I would go on with this breakdown, but I really can't remember all the fish in the order we caught them. We caught 27 fish total, with 18 of those caught in 3 hours. So we will fast forward to the good stuff.....

Around noon, I had a 17 lb fish under my belt and Boog had just topped that, of course, with a 19 lb'er. So, rod goes down, Chris grabs it. Rod 2 goes down, Boog grabs it. Rod 3 goes down, tatersalad grabs it. Cool a triple. Chris brings in a nice 7-8 pounder. Boog is working on bringing in a 10-12 pounder. Tatersalad gets a little excited and says a dirty word, several times! This fish turned out to be my new personal best fish, 26 lbs. 9 oz. WOW!

So Boog can only deal with the old man being in the lead for a few minutes, so he goes ahead and catches a new personal best for himself at 27+ lbs.

What A DAY!

Oh yeah, back to fishin' so a little while later we moved a ways, reanchored, and got set up again. caught a couple between 5-10 lbs and then the bite really slowed down. We had called it 10 more minutes about a half hour earlier when the rod bent over, and bent over, and oh yeah did i mention it BENT OVER! 8-10 minutes later Boog is trying to wrap his head around the 36# blue he just caught.

That's right. Boog went catfishing for the first time July 4th, of this year. Friday his personal best was 7lbs, now its 36!!

Crazy stuff.

What I really want to say is this. If you think there aren't any big cats in Monticello, that's cool. I don't want to change your mind. If you want to find out for yourself that there ARE big cats in Monticello, you are going to be a happy camper. Contact Chris Blue about meeting up to fish the 'Big Mon'. You won't be sorry you did.

If Chris decides at some point to start professionally guiding, you could do a whole lot worse than to pay him to take you out. My suggestion is to try and plan a trip with him, before he goes pro!

Brothers, i am going to ask you to help me with something. I can't send Rep to Chris until I spread it around, so if you would, kick him some for me.

Attached Files:

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Here are the rest of the pictures!

Attached Files:

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well dang. Glad y'all done so well. Now I have an idea of where I'm going on my next cat trip. :big_smile:

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I tell ya what, my face hurt when we got home just from grinnin'!

5. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Sounds very exciting! Good job!

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yall did great, thanks for sharing brother. If I get out that way I will look yall up for sure!!

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    What a great trip! It sounds like Chrisblue was on them, more like all over them! Thats a good stringer of fish anywhere in the country.

Hey CHRISBLUE, was that an average, above average, or below average day on Monitcello?

Your a good man for taking them coots out. I think Boog is gonna get hooked and tatersalad is gonna have to buy a boat!!

8. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    He is hooked, and I am looking for a boat!
    :big_smile:

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Its a little above average for numbers and about average for size.Some of the better days are 2 or 3 fish over 30lbs with an occasional over 40.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Its always better to have a good day when you have company!!!

11. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Congrats on a great fishing trip. Save some of that mojo for next saturday at Lake Wylie.

12. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man what an awesome day. Hey what were y'all using for bait?

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Chicken Liver:big_smile: just kiddin it was white perch and bream.

14. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Hey chris are u guys drifting vertical in deep water or drifting on bottom with alot of line out. All that super deep water is still just throwing me off.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    ILMAO livers :haha:

I rather be :beated: than fish with livers for Blues.

:bad_smelly: <----Livers

When you cast white perch out there the blues just :surrender: if you know what I mean.

Until my next trip down I guess I'll be :still_dreaming: about it.

16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I like to drag the bottom myself but some people like to suspend their baits under the boat or under a slip float.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on some nice fish guys!!!

18. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    These are the kind of trips that ignite catfish fever in everyone. Thanks for sharing.

19. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, guys!!!! That's like the dream trip of a lifetime!! Congrats on the new PB's, and Chris you're one hackofa guy for putting them onto those fish (I don't care what Teas sez about'cha!) :crazy: :big_smile: :lol:

20. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great job, fellows, and a great report, too.
    Now, I vote to change the gathering to Monticello! :eek:oooh: