Fishing Missouri River in high water

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by whiskers9512, May 1, 2007.

1. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    How do you guys fish in the river when the water gets above the dikes ..... never fished it that high, does anybody have luck doing this and how? thank for the help,
    Blake

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Blake these conditions make finding fish tough to say the least. It has been my experience that rapidly rising river levels will bring the fish into the shallows where they will feed pretty heavily. The only problem is the fish will be scattered.
    When the river begins to recede rapidly, I've found it to be about the poorest catfish bite there is. The really seem to get freaked out when the river drops quickly and will move back into the deeper holes.
    As for giving it a try, my best recommendation would be to fish the shallow end of the dykes. Pull your boat up to the submerged dyke and pitch your anchor on the upstream side and tie it off so the stearn of your boat is over the base of the wall. You will be obviously be in a very swift current so large weights will be the key. (I'm using 14 ounces right now) The thing to keep in mind is that although your in a raging current, the fish down at the base of the submerged dyke are in relatively smooth water and they will feed in there throughout the day. Dont be afraid to hit the wingdykes in the sleus if you have them. Good Luck. Dont get discouraged. Not very many BOC'ers tearing the fish up right now.

3. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the help I have been waiting for the river to drop but it seems like it is never going to quit raining so i might as well go and try the high water....going to give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    No worries. Good Luck. There is never really a bad day fishing is there? Be safe out there and let us know how you do.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Aint that the truth!!! They are there but scattered.

6. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    What about fishing in the feeder streams, they really dont have alot of current they are just kinda backed up frm the main river. Would this be worth a try or just a wast of time?

7. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ...if all goes well. I'll be at Smokey Waters (Missouri-Osage Delta). I'll post a report and let ya know what's happening.

~UncleDave

8. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fished yesterday evening for a couple of hours with no luck, bait was hard to find. I threw my net probably a hundred times and only caught 2 drum and a nice goldeye. we fished about 3 submerged dikes and didnt have a single bite. Wish the river would come back down to normal but they are calling for more rain this weekend and next week so it lookes likes its going to be awhile.
    Do you guys have pretty good luck using goldeye for bait? How do you like to cut them up? Thanks for the help!:smile2:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Vince and I fished for 12 hard hours yesterday. NOT 1 FISH. Skunked. Zero. Nada. Nil. Nuthin. :crazy:

10. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorry for the bad luck you guys had CUZ, we didnt do well either glad to here it wasnt just us though. I am starting to think i might not catch a single nice fish all spring, only been fishing the river for three years years now and most of my success has been on set lines but I am trying to learn to rod and reel for big blues but seem to really be having a hard time learning how! thanks for all the help!

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I've been skunked so many times during this high water it's been depressing. We've recently started doing better though. Now I'm afraid I won't know how to fish low water conditions whenever they DO come.:lol:

My parents came down to visit this week and I took my Dad fishing on Friday. I made the mistake of telling him he could do all the "catching." :confused2:

Fishing is usually FUN whether I catch anything or not, however, we got way past the fun level and went right to the STRESS level. After 45 minutes, my Dad was at the "Spaghetti arm" stage and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack, LOL.

I told my Dad halfway through the battle that if this fish was bigger than my biggest I was going to cut his line. I was kidding of course and was thrilled that we had the experience together, since we don't get to fish much together anymore. He weighed in at 71 lbs (compared to my biggest of 56:tounge_out: ).

Attached Files:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dont get discouraged Blake. The river is a mess right now. I wasnt expecting to get into them anyway.

Great time to catch up on the honey dos and stack up some brownie points. That way, when the river drops and the fish start biting well have lots of kitchen passes. :big_smile:

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Atta Boy Shane. Great Job. Congrats to your Dad. A fine catch indeed. Give us some more details pleeezzzzeeee. You know, nothing specific. Just stuff like, which mile marker, which dyke, exact bait, depth, and gps coordinates. Thats not asking for two much. :big_smile:

14. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't see it!:0a14:

I've got to get 10 post!

15. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wound up below the Bagnell Damn. I didn't even have my second line in the water before I caught a little 2 pound channel. Then nothing, 12 hours and nothing. Shad guts, shad sides, shad heads, crawlers, chicken livers, blood bait, Bee-Jay, Charlie Cat, Hog Wild cheese bait, Sonny's dip bait, I even went as far as putting a piece of bologna on a circle hook and absolutely nothing for 12 hours. Not even nibble.

P.S. Maybe it was that crazy ass looking moon??

~UncleDave

16. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congratulations Shane, to you and your Dad thats a Good one, and to take your Dad on a trip like thats got to make you feel good. Great Job!

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like the same day on the river I had. :embarassed: No worries. Take a few days off n catch up on honey do's while the river levels attempt to stabilize. Or, try and put that one big fish in the boat like Shane and his Dad. Seems alot of big fish come out of unstabil river conditions, but you wont find large schools of fish. I'll be spending a few days oiling the reels, respooling, retying rigs, and fixing nick nacks on the boat. That way, when the bite kicks in, its all business. Good Luck.

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Got up early Friday morning, grabbed the rain gear, and headed for the River. I was told" I was either stupid, or dedicated," but I think it is a little of both.:tounge_out: Anyway, it took about an hour just to find bait, I ended up finding the largest shad I have ever found on the Mississippi River, about 2 dozen, with the smallest probably being about 8" long. Went to a couple of my best holes, and fished about 10 hrs. .... No bites all day. After heading back to the ramp, I found the water had come up a couple of feet since I headed out. I just left the ramp again about an hour ago, and the river has already dropped to about the level it was at Friday morning. Talk about a fluctuating level. It crazy!!:confused2: I don't know what to do. I guess keep I'll just keep trying. Bye the way Shane, Congrats to you and your dad!

19. joeS

joeS New Member

State:
    Mo
    Try fishing in any tributaries during the high water for Flathead. Try and find any deep holes around bends in the river close to your area for the blues. I have most of my luck in these deep holes during high water for blues becaues the current is a little slower down there.

20. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cuz didnt tell you the whole story. We fished for 12 hours very hard and tried everything within reason during nasty high water, rain, tornados to the North and lack of bait. I sat there and watched a dink hitting carp guts with a 7/0 kahle knowing it wasnt big enough to hook for over 20 minutes.. What bites we did have, hit very hard and then dissapeared just as fast. We did have a really good time as it will go down in history of being one that I will remember.. Ask him about the trip back in he had "planned" to make it one of those that I will never forget!